Is there any harm in keeping your chlorine higher then need for your CYA level?

marianegs

Bronze Supporter
Jul 8, 2014
NJ
My Chlorine is between 25-30 so I know I only need to keep my chlorine at a 4, but a couple of weeks ago I had algae, which I DONT want again (and I really didn't think my chorine level was down). We are having a few events the next couple of weeks, so I want my pool in pristine condition. Is there any harm in always keeping my pool chlorine level at 6? I don't mind "wasting bleach" so besides that is there any harm in aiming high?

I think in your opening statement you meant to say your "CYA" is between 25-30 right? :) But basically, if you're wondering about maintaining FC at 2-3 ppm higher than your target, based on your current CYA, that's fine. Actually that can be a good proactive measure that won't hurt a thing, especially in areas with lots of sun or pool activity.

That's no problem as long as it's below slam level. I usually keep mine a couple ppm above what it needs to be just for safety's sake in case I don't get out to check it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It won't hurt the pool any, but it may get rough on swimsuits.

Fear of overstabilization is good, but I'd raise the CYA closer to 40. It's easier to read it and it will provide extra buffering and more sun protection. A couple 8 oz trichlor pucks in a floater will do the trick, if you have any laying around.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.