stabilizer 300, phosphates 500, FC at 1 - HELP

Just make sure you let the pump run for a half hour to get everything circulated before testing. You seem to be on top of things, don't forget to post your results after you test.

Wonderful I'm glad you were able to get the stuff off the bottom that will help a lot.

As far as the levels, they suggest to allow the pump to run at least 30 mins to an hour to ensure everything is mixed well before checking levels. Also make sure to not collect your sample close to the skimmer, or the return jet. I take mine from the opposite side of the pool than they are on. Sounds like you on your way. Congrats. :)

Always round your CYA up to the next ten, so your CYA is 100. Still quite high but 4 times easier than before. So if your plan is to try working with that then your next step is to bring your pH up to 7.2 and probably bring your TA up a bit with that. If you have any pH up (sodium carbonate) then you can use that as it will raise your pH and TA. Otherwise you can use borax for pH and baking soda for TA. Use PoolMath to figure out how much you want to add to get back up.

So you will need to SLAM to get the green out. at 100 CYA then you will need to get your FC up to 39 and maintain it long enough to kill everything. If you haven't read up on SLAM yet you can here: Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Once you are done you will need to keep your FC above 7 at all times to prevent things from going green again.

pH UP and SLAM it is. Will let you know how things work out. Should brushing and vacuuming be done from inside pool?

Thanks.

Karen

You can swim up to your SLAM level, and Skippy does his brushing from within the pool so...why not? :) (of course you don't *have* to)

Used 4# soda ash and free wheeled with 1/2 box Borax to try to get pH up for SLAM. This AM still not registering pH, BUT... slight green tinge gone from water and I can see the scum on the bottom. Vacuuming will be snap. AND - TA up to 80 from 60 (must be the borax.

Do I go and get pH UP instead of soda ash, add more Borax and until I get to store for enough clorox to SLAM 9 bottles due to high CYA, should I add what I have now, work on pH and then do FC test and balance of clorine to SHOCK level.

The TA rise is from the pH up, not the borax. Your pH must have been rather low, your fill water must be on the acidic side. You do want to get that up to at least 7 before you start SLAMing. Also pH up and soda ash are the same thing, sodium carbonate. You will also find it in the laundry aisle next to the borax, labeled washing soda. Whatever you have on hand will be fine to bring your pH up at this point, your TA is ok but can be raised a bit more without problems.

Keeping your FC around 7 before the SLAM will help keep things from getting worse but don't raise it above 10 while adjusting your pH. The pH test is not accurate when FC is over 10. Remember too, you need 9 bottles to start, you then will need to test every few hours and bring the FC back to SLAM. If you need 9 to start then you should grab no less than 20 so you don't run out right away.

From my HTC One via Tapatalk

Make sure you find another place just in case! Has anyone looked at your "funny" yet?

"Oh this? Just doing some cleaning up after the crime scene people left." Make sure to say it with a straight face!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
YUCK! I almost thought about, best way I know to dissolve a body - didn't. Managed to clean out store, 6 gal and 12 half gallons. Need to see if todays soda ash add has done anything to improve pH so I can get the party started.

Karen

Mythbusters showed that sulfuric acid mixed with hydrogen peroxide is the best way to dissolve a body. Just file that away in the back of your mind just in case ;)

You may want to look around when you get the chance to see if there are any pool stores or hardware stores that carry fresh liquid chlorine and compare prices. If you can get higher concentrations at comparable prices to the Clorox then it will mean less jugs to lug. Just make sure if you go in a pool store to ignore everything they say. Ask for liquid chlorine, tell them your water is fine, ignore their recommendation that you use powder chlorine instead, and leave with either liquid chlorine or nothing. They are crafty, you gotta be on your A game!

Waited for rain to help lower CYA and doesn't show up until huge drain and refill complete and SLAM has been started. :( Will I need to do another CYA test after rain has stopped to see if I need to lower my FC target against new CYA (be it up or down) or stick with original target.

Thanks.

Karen

Rain will have very little effect on your levels and unless water flows out it will end up with zero change overall. Also you would need to get over 6 inches of rain (with an equal amount also draining out of your pool) to get a readable difference, and even then only about 10 ppm difference. So no, you do not need to retest.

Did my evening test and it seems nothing has changed.( 2 hr after chlorination this morning, FC was 41 PPM)Pool is clear, have vacuumed some stuff up, but not a whole lot.

FC - 40.5ppm
CC - .5

Was doing 10 ml test, do I need to do 25 ml test to see if CC is lower?

We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Thanks

Karen

When I SLAMmed yesterday, actually added more chlorine than was recommended. Should have measured 39ppm, but tested at 41ppm. This morning test showed 38.5ppm. My brain says add chlorine to get back to 41ppm, but thought I would check to see if I should only raise to what it should have been, 39ppm. Stupid anal(ytical) brain -

Pool is crystal clear very little to vacuum (had windy conditions last night - would FC loss be due to my CYA @ 100ppm?

Karen

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.