Zeolite Filter and the green pool.

.................. I have backwashed several times, trying to keep my media clean which provided a bit of a water change. Learning how to use my TFP test kit 8/12/15: CH 875, CL 2-4, PH 7.8, FC 20, CC .05, TA 70, CYA 28.
Your CYA is 30 (there is no "28" on the tube, always round up) so that is now perfect to SLAM, and your Shock FC level is now 12. Be sure to stay at or above that (I would shoot for 15 or so to make up for loss).

What is the "CL" reading? I thought that it was maybe from the OTO test, but your TC is 20.5ppm (if FC=20.0 & CC=0.5ppm) so the OTO should be off the scale (dark amber).

Also, pH is not reliable over a FC level of 10ppm so no need to check/adjust that during the SLAM.

Focus on FC & CC.

I can't help with the CH, but I know that there are others on the board that maintain a pool with high CH so don't worry about that right now either.

Focus on completing the SLAM.

Dom

Hi TFP Friends, Today my test results are CL 3, PH 7.6, FC .35, CC .15, TA 80, CH 825, CYA 40, CSI .36. I am still finishing up the Slam process. Pool Math says I will need to replace 68% of the water to reduce the CH. Also add bleach, acid and baking soda. Q's: Do I wait till after the slam to add the baking soda? Are there other options for dealing with high CH? Thanks!

The only way to remove Calcium is reverse osmosis or water replacement. If your fill water is already high in Calcium even replacement may not help much. I would recommend that you test your tap water for Calcium using the TF-100. It really is not something I would be concerned about for the moment.

How are your getting a FC of .35? If using the TF-100 it should be in increments of .2, .5, or 1 depending on the volume of water used. I would hold off adding anything other than bleach until the SLAM is complete.

If your FC is .35 you need to get that level way up...now. Even if it should read 3.5 you need to increase your FC to SLAM levels. At the moment it appears you are not SLAMING anything.

Hi TFP Friends, Today my test results are CL 3, PH 7.6, FC .35, CC .15, TA 80, CH 825, CYA 40, CSI .36. I am still finishing up the Slam process. Pool Math says I will need to replace 68% of the water to reduce the CH. Also add bleach, acid and baking soda. Q's: Do I wait till after the slam to add the baking soda? Are there other options for dealing with high CH? Thanks!
Add nothing but chlorine until your SLAM is complete.

The only thing we need to monitor right now is FC & CC.

I'll ask again, what is "CL" that you are posting.

Also, how did you get "FC .35" & "CC .15"? You should be using a 10mL water sample and multiplying the drops by 0.5

For example, 7 drops of R-0871 would be 7 X 0.5 = 3.5ppm

Dom

Add nothing but chlorine until your SLAM is complete.

The only thing we need to monitor right now is FC & CC.

I'll ask again, what is "CL" that you are posting.

Also, how did you get "FC .35" & "CC .15"? You should be using a 10mL water sample and multiplying the drops by 0.5

For example, 7 drops of R-0871 would be 7 X 0.5 = 3.5ppm

Dom
Dom, the CL is from the OTO test block. He has a TF100 which is slightly different than your K-2006.

Rick, when you are using the FAS-DPD tester (FC & CC powder & drops) you don't need to bother with the yellow CL test. As you can see, it's close, but not quite exact. Worry only about FC & CC until the algae is completely gone, the water is clear even after brushing, the CC goes away with one drop or less, and you lose less than 1 FC overnight. Fixing the rest can wait.

825 CH is about where I am. The lowest I've ever been in 5 years is 450. It's manageable. What you need to do is keep the pH at the lower end of safe - say, 7.2>7.6 and TA down at 60 or 70. If you do that, the CSI will stay below the threshold for developing Calcium scale. Then if this El Nino they're predicting happens, you can do what I do and direct the raingutter downpsouts into the pool and exchange the Calcium-laden water with zero CH water for free.

Dom, the CL is from the OTO test block. He has a TF100 which is slightly different than your K-2006.
Thats what I thought but the way the results are posted it is really confusing (FC .35, CC.05, etc)

What is the "CL" reading? I thought that it was maybe from the OTO test, but your TC is 20.5ppm (if FC=20.0 & CC=0.5ppm) so the OTO should be off the scale (dark amber).

Dom

Thank you TFP Team! It's great to have SoCal members that deal with the high CH in the water here. I like the idea about catching the El Nino rain water and will work on a plan for that. Still learning how to use the various tests in the TF-100 kit. But I feel empowered and the wife is happy. image.jpgThanks!

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.