Stamped Concrete. Worth it?

On my pool with exposed aggregate I literarily cannot walk barefoot from the front of the pool to the skimmer, maybe 30'. On my new pool, which is all stamped concrete, I can walk forever without an issue, but can't stand still on a really hot day for more then 20 seconds or so.

Jim R.

I really think it is material and color choice. We are going with a concrete paver and I have heard horror stories of them. We have several Belgard paver samples in our driveway and I have stood barefoot on them to see how I can manage. We live in Austin with our driveway in direct sun all day and it has been 100+ for the last couple weeks and the lighter colors I can stand on with no issues for over a minute without issues. The slightly darker colors get a little less tolerable after a minute. We purposely are choosing the lightest color we can for our coping and deck so we can walk barefoot on it. Our pool deck will be in shade most of the day so we don't think the pavers will be much of an issue for us. Maybe we'll have more info after we have lived with it a season.

I think with concrete it matters how dark you go with the color. This applies to stamped concrete too. If the concrete is smooth that means more surface area of your foot touches the concrete but salt finishes or cool deck I have seen has a lot of pores which mean not your entire foot is making concrete with the hot surface. If you are concerned see if you can get a sample to put in the area where you'll have your deck for a couple days and then try to stand on it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.