Plumbing Upgrade

graler

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 17, 2014
Cedar Park, TX
All of our water pathways to and from the pump and filter are those ribbed hoses that came with the original system. The line from the filter to the pool tends to move around as the water flows through it. That movement has now caused a small leak. It is time to upgrade. It looks like 1 1/2 schedule 40 PVC ought to do the trick. I am considering adding shut offs between the skimmer and pump and the filter and pool.

Anything else I should consider since I am connecting PVC?

Anything I need to avoid - low spots? I am in Austin, TX when the weather gets cold we just leave the pump running - no other freeze protection has been required.

I use rubber plugs to stop the flow when I clean out the pump basket - can I use those to stop the flow when i change out the ribbed tube? Or do I have to expel water below the skimmer and return to change it out?

Any advice is welcome.

Joe

Well, since all your plumbing is below water level you would use the same type of winterizing techniques. No matter how you plug the returns, the pvc has to be dry when it is glued together. I would definitely add shutoff valves to the inlet and return pipes to allow easier pump basket and filter cleaning.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.