Is this SWG 220v ? and why is scale building on it weekly ?

Feb 18, 2014
Alta Loma, CA
Hey everyone
I have a zodiac lm3-40 SWG. It was working fine for months, years. Lately it seems it builds up scaly white sediment on the cells literally weekly. I have read that some swg's have self cleaning, this one is supposed to but no longer seems to be working. Obviously I dont want to clean this weekly. When I clean it, I can see the SWG output and it is great but quickly gets much less a week later. SHould I replace it ? is this thing 220V ? Can I purchase this item from ebay and swap it in directly without redoing plumbing ?
New Zodiac LM3 40 Self Cleaning Salt Chlorinator Its Back | eBay

- - - Updated - - -

here is a pic of my setupswg.jpg

Scaling in a SWG cell is usually caused by water chemistry. Mine would scale quickly too, until I found TFP and got my water properly balanced. I haven't had to clean mine in over a year. Do you have a recommended test kit? If so, post a full set of test results.

Hey fellas, thanks for the input
I took the water to Leslie's pool supply today
Here is what I was told......
FAC 1
TAC 1
Salt 4000
CH 300
CYA 10
TA 100
ph 7.9
Acid demand 2
Copper 0
Iron 0
Phosphates 400

I was asked to place 4 lbs of conditioner to bring my CYA levels up (15k gallon pool)

Then I was asked to add some acid 32 oz

Then I was told to bring down the phospates with some of their Pool perfect like solution

High pH and high calcium (CH) will contribute to scaling. And having low CYA will make you need to run the SWG longer, which will also contribute to increased scaling. You should get yourself a good test kit and look at PoolMath on this site to figure out how much stuff you need. Assuming Leslie's tests are correct, you need more like 8 pounds of conditioner, 12 ounces of muriatic acid, and you should bring the chlorine level up with a gallon of bleach. You don't need the pool perfect; phosphates aren't a problem if you keep your chlorine at the proper level.

You need to gain control of the pool. Did you notice that you said you were told to add this or that, well with a good test kit and a bit of knowledge (easily obtained here), you will know what to add, not be told. It's up to you to decide, either buy a good test kit (TF-100 highly recommend) and use TFP methods, or go to a pool store have them test your water and buy whatever magic potions they want to sell you. What you cannot do is mix the two methods, they are completely incompatible. It's your money, your pool and your choice.

We have found pool store testing to be inconsistent, unreliable, and worth just what they charge for it...nothing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.