"Restarting"---here's my numbers

graffster

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 19, 2008
Hi all,
I posted in the "getting started" forum the other day that it's been a while since I've been on here, but I'm back and ready to reclaim our pool. Our SWG has given up the ghost, so the pool guy we had was using tabs and probably some liquid chlorine. We're taking back the maintenance though.
I ordered a refill test kit and all my components came today, so here's what I've got:

CL < .5 :(
pH 7.8
TA 130
CH 230
CYA 55

I know those numbers are all a little off. But what do i fix first???????

You can use PoolMath to determine chemical additions. You put your volume in PoolMath at the top, then all your current readings in the first column and your target numbers in the second. It will tell you how much of what you need to add to reach that goal.

First thing you need is some chlorine. Regular bleach (8.25%) or "liquid shock" chlorinating liquid (10% or 12%) to bring the level up to at least 6 or 7.
Spend some time studying Pool School and you'll become a pro at this. You should also consider fixing or replacing the SWG.

I guess I didnt post my numbers well...by both tests (the yellow liquid in the block tester AND the DPD Powder) show a less than 1. So virtually no chlorine.
Amazingly, my water looks clear....and we've had a lot of rain and it's Hot!!!
I'll head to pool school and see what I need to add to bring it up.
Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I didnt post my numbers well...by both tests (the yellow liquid in the block tester AND the DPD Powder) show a less than 1. So virtually no chlorine.
Amazingly, my water looks clear....and we've had a lot of rain and it's Hot!!!
I'll head to pool school and see what I need to add to bring it up.
Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need to add liquid chlorine, STAT! Don't wait for the SWG to bring your FC level up, do it yourself now with regular household bleach if you've got it. Per my math that comes up to be almost two full gallons of 8.25% bleach, then you can let your SWG maintain it.

If you don't do it tonight you're seriously risking a major algae outbreak.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.