New Here

I guess I'm just a middle-aged woman looking for a place to cool off after a scorching hot day gardening! Have a tiny pool compared to most I've read here. Not well off enough to afford all your fancy test kits, and gadgets so I just have your basic hth 6-way test kit from Walmart. I have had my pool up since Memorial Day or there abouts, and I am having a terrible time with it! I was having algae so bad I had to brush and clean every couple days regardless of how much bleach or shock I threw at it.

I got those test strips first, the ones I now know are worthless! First test everything was ZERO or close to it. I mean it registered no change at all, even a couple hours after throwing a shock treatment in! Next day- more algae! Then I read about the BBB Pool Method and got really confused! LOL! I mean I understand the method ok, I'm just not sure what I need to do. I mean, what is a stabilizer, where do I get it, and how much do I need?

Ok, so today I went and got the 6-way test kit and tested my pool. These are the results from the tests I did:
Cl-did not register at all
PH-somewhere around 7.3 best I could tell
TA-90?
CYA-less than 30 cause I could still see the dot after the vial was full!

You should know that I added 4lbs. of Baking Soda to the pool sometime last month (in two different intervals as I understood the directions). I pour about a gallon of bleach in there every couple of days, and a package of shock once a week. We had flooding rains here just after I got the pool set up followed by scorching heat! Temps the last two weeks have been near or over 100deg. My pool is in full sun. I hooked up a sort of fountain in it too, just cause I thought it would be cool.:-?

Oh yeah, my pool is soo hot it sort of defeats the purpose of having one in the first place!

Please keep your answers simple, I don't know anything about chemistry, or pool language or equipment. Just an old small town country woman in Arkansas. Have to drive 50+ miles to the nearest pool store or Lowes!

Welcome to the forum Nancy,

I edited your post back to normal font size and color as it was extremely difficult to read in large size and color you selected. Please let your posts remain in default font and color. While a slight change isn't so bad, some are very difficult to read. folks will weigh in to help you before long, no worries. Enjoy your time on TFP.

Your pool is on the border of seasonal. If you want, you can upgrade your test kit very easily! All you need is the FAS-DPD kit. It's the Taylor K-1515. You can get it online at TFtestkits or on Amazon. It's about $25.00 but will bring your 6-way up to standard. Sorry to ask you to spend more money, but it's a critical component of getting AND KEEPING your pool perfect!