YAY!!! New Pool Build in Progress - Tomball TX - Bring on the expert advice!

Thanks everyone - whew made it through the selection day - I have been dreading today all last week! We have some time to decide on color for the spray deck so we will wait until the tile and coping is done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know spray deck is an upgrade to Pea gravel/Aggregate but i think we are going to go back to go back to the original plan of pea gravel for decking. I feel as if it will give us a better look up against the beautiful travertine coping and is no additional cost to us.

We are getting quotes to lay the travertine tile on our existing covered patio so that we can tie the looks together.

- - - Updated - - -

One other note to all Houston folks....One of the things i did was to go to Har.com (realtor website) and put in a nice price range, selected private pool, built within last five years and then ran a search and looked at what people around here do with their pools. This was helpful for me as in some cases i was looking at million dollar homes with Pea gravel and it looked great. Sometimes when we are in the design mode we tend to go all out or spend $$$ on things we think will make or break our desired look - so for me it was helpful - Just a thought!

Funny Kim - I am learning the mantra "less is more"! So what should I be doing while waiting on the finishing touches to this pool? What's the one thing you guys say was the best purchase you made for your pool? Floats, plastic tumblers for Rita's in the pool, chaise lounges, etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Test kit (see my siggy for the ones we use and love)

-some kind of storage box to hold pool chemicals

-Find best place to get bleach or chlorine

-Different kinds of floating chairs and loungers

-Pretty plastic cups/glasses like you said. Good basket or tray to use to carry them out to the pool.

Kim

Make sure your storage box for chemicals has no metal parts.
The Chlorine eats that stuff up.
Rubbermaid has some that are pretty good if you leave off the metal prop to hold their lid open.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok as I am waiting on something new to happen to the pool - i will move on to the next design which is adding an outdoor grilling area to the existing patio. Need some advice on this...The pizza oven that you see in the picture is not built in - we simply had used some pavers from one of our gardens and placed around it. These will not stay and the pizza oven needs to be moved to open air as it gets to 1000 degrees and the smoke from the pipe on top has turned my ceiling patio black. When looking at the pictures the side of the patio with one window is my breakfast area /Kitchen inside and the three windows is my living room.

I would think the best place to add the grill and outdoor counter space would be on the side with the one window so that it is easy access to the kitchen. My concern is if i place the pizza oven here (on the lowered deck) it will take up some of the decking space for my chaise lounges. So for now we are thinking to make use of the brick wall to the left of my patio and add the grill there....There is already a hook up for a tv to be placed on the brick wall.

You can see the wall in this picture:
Side%20Shot%20Patio_zpsvnrrnbfx.jpg

So if we placed the pizza oven in front of the bedroom window to the left of the patio (it will be lowered as we have a 6 inch drop from existing patio to new deck) - then a counter stretching out across the brick wall - we could have the grill placed closer to the pizza oven and a place for some counter stools.

Here is some wider shots of the full patio - any ideas on placement????

From%20Corner%20of%20Spa_zpskxxjxbva.jpg

Full%20Shot%20from%20back%20wall%20of%20pool_zps1vycag6k.jpg

Just chiming in to say I love your pool so far! Do you live on a canal? My in-laws live on a canal off the Guadalupe River outside of San Antonio and I love it. Also is your house built by Highland Homes? I used to have a Highland home and I loved it before we moved 2 years ago to our new to us house.

For placement what is on the right side of your patio? Could you have a pad of cement over there for your pizza oven? That way it is still pretty close to the door going into your kitchen?

No we don't live on a canal - although that would be super cool especially if it was the Guadalupe or the Comal! We live in a subdivision that has lakes (retention Ponds) and we were lucky to purchase a Village builder home that has waterfront.

The right side of my patio is the walkway from the front yard. We did at one time think to add concrete that was level with our patio and when Steve wanted to make pizzas to just push it back to allow the pipe to be in the open air. Couple of issues with that is he would block the walkway - we couldn't give it a built in look as he would need to roll it, the concrete on our patio is stained and i don't think we could match the new section even if we tried :) as well how could we tie in the grill and counter?

Here is a picture of what it looks like without the stones around it:

Pizza%20oven_zpslpsv0bup.jpg

We dont need a sink or fridge but would like a built in grill and counter space to add some stools and a place to put out drinks and food. BTW that is not mine just one o found on the internet for reference.

Thanks that gives a lot of insight. I probably wouldn't block the walkway. I honestly would want to see the pool from my bedroom and living room without being blocked. What I would probably do is create an straight built in kitchen that starts on the wall of your house to the right of the door along the right edge of the patio to the column and put the pizza oven on your patio facing the door on the other side of the column. Then the way to get to the pool would be straight from where the couch is. That doesn't fix the smoke on the ceiling of the patio. For that I honestly would try to extend the flue on the pizza oven to either go through the patio and through the roof OR if it was on the edge of the patio you might be able to angle the flue so it clears the roof up high and is strapped near the gutter. That way the pizza oven still is on the patio not taking up your lounge chair access and doesn't have the smoke issue. By having the pizza oven by the built in grill you'll have counter space to hold pizza's waiting to be cooked etc all in one place.

Keep the hot things together for safety reasons. It is easier to block off that area in case of kids or pets.

Can you modify the vent so that the pizza oven vent to the outside of the patio? Just a little jig and jog and not more soot on the ceiling.

Kim

Yes I am with the both of you - I want to keep the grill and pizza oven together whichever side i put it on. If i was to put it on the left side I do have two other bedroom windows that have an amazing view of the pool so i don't mind so much putting the pizza oven there. As a matter of fact i always wanted someone to turn that one window into a door that led from my master to the outside - Obviously if i put the pizza oven there that will not happen but everyone i ask to do it gives me a strange look anyways - whats the big deal...Cut the window down further and place a door in the hole. <-- Thats my loose understanding of how construction works :)

We did ask our PB if we could just run a flute through the ceiling of our patio and they basically looked at me and said it would be a couple thousand dollars - really????? So that's why we started thinking about where on the deck could we place it. We dont have much deck space so i dont really want to lose any but i just cant think of anything else that isnt going to cost us a fortune.

I am not an artist but here is my thoughts....I am not a huge fan of it but its the only way i can think of....How would you change it?

IMG_9624_zpsfmlxy3a5.jpg

Can/should it be outside in the weather? I bet you could get some of what ummmmmmgood and I (great thinker we are LOL) thinking-find out what the pipe is made of, get some more with some bends, add it to the current placement and call it good.

I like your way to thinking on the door-------just make the window bigger. That is what the "person" aka idiot did to our house before we bought it. He took out a window and added french doors off the master bedroom to the deck just out side it. He did NOT finish the drywall on the inside or the brickwork on the outside! You could see daylight around the frame of the doors! At least all of the fixed the house needed we could do. There was something in EVERY room of the house. One of the reasons we could afford it!

SO make sure to do it right if you do it! I would do it too!

Kim

Honestly you could by some stove pipe yourself and do it. Go to a store that sells wood stoves/pellet stoves and see what they recommend. The PB is quoting so much because he doesn't want to do it. They bend stove pipes all the times in homes to route the flue to where it will vent. You should be able to get them in all types of colors and sizes but I would start with wood stove companies because that is the most likely place to get something like that. Even if it didn't go through the roof you could easily route it so it would jog back and then clear the roof.

I am wondering how high the pipe would have to extend above the patio roof. I believe chimney flues have to be at least 3 feet above the ridge of your house (I think!). I don't know if that would apply to the pizza oven flue.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.