An unusual pool build

How did you attach the steel? Also did you pour concrete behind the void between the steel and wall?
I used steel to form the inside curve of the corners. It was temporarily bolted to the wall, concrete was poured behind the curved piece of steel and, then when the concrete was set, the steel form was removed. You can see the finished curve about the 10th picture down in the first post

This kinda answers a question that I thought was true but couldn't really back up until now. I use that track all the time and I sometimes wondered what happens when the water level goes above the track. Does it slowly seep out? I guess not or else you'd have a noticeable leak, looks like the water pressure keeps it a pretty water tight seal by itself. I do wonder how the fasteners will make out in years to come I've had problems with screw heads popping off in the past and went to a larger diameter SS self tapping screw.

I use that track all the time and I sometimes wondered what happens when the water level goes above the track. Does it slowly seep out?
I replaced the liner (defective) in this pool after 1.5 years in service. The concrete walls were wet in a couple of places making me think it does not form a perfect seal all the way around.

That said, I lose no more water than would be expected from normal evaporation so the seepage is not enough to worry about. I put the screws into the concrete every twelve inches and the track was glued in place with construction adhesive as well. The pool is now 7-8 years since it was filled and it seems to be holding up fine so far.

For me, the biggest satisfaction is that because the liner is not subject to UV anywhere, it looks and feels exactly like it did when it was new.

Just curious how is the other wall holding up so much water? It looks like it is not backfilled. Did you have to reinforce it in any way? Would be great to see a picture from that side of the pool to get some ideas on how you decorated it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just curious how is the other wall holding up so much water? It looks like it is not backfilled. Did you have to reinforce it in any way? Would be great to see a picture from that side of the pool to get some ideas on how you decorated it.
Good question and I am sorry I did not see it sooner. From the beginning, the pool was designed to hold water successfully with no back fill whatsoever on any of the sides.. If I remember, that was about 1100' of 1/2 rebar horizontally and 600 laterally. I know that was w-a-a-ay overkill but I certainly didn't want any cracks.

The other two walls were eventually backfilled and the ground leveled......I think I can scrounge a picture somewhere.

This is the retaining wall that holds all that fill dirt back (about 20 tandem loads!!) and this is the best pic I could find of that unsupported wall that is now backfilled and being "supported" by that rubber tire wall.ROTC_pool_party 027.jpg

Attachments

• temp_ebaymetal 002.jpg
    temp_ebaymetal 002.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 528
I love your pool! I am in the process of building my own actually! We have the block walls up but still need to get a few things. I read through but did not see what kind of liner receiver you used. I have googled for days but all I can find is the type that hangs over a metal wall then holds the beaded liner. How did you attach your liner?

Ours is 20x40 and it is taking much longer than I expected. I honestly thought my husband and brother in law could knock this out in a week. I was sorely mistaken! Concrete is much heavier than I thought and we did not realize how much would be needed to fill the holes in the blocks. I had to make 4 trips to the store to buy pallets of 60lb concrete and we hand mixed it! Sadly we have had to take 3 weeks off working on it and my neighbors all think I am building some kind of bunker! I cant wait to get it done!

I don't know the name of that liner receiver. My supplier was a PB in California who has since closed. I did read someone else reference it as being commonplace in the industry but I just don't know how to describe it or begin to track it down.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.