At my wits end - after 3 SLAMs

Run53 - Earlier you said "I would think I should be able to drop to an FC of 3-5 as that is what PoolMath suggests for CYA=70 and SWG." Although that is true, I think in your case you might want to target a little higher. I have read a number of folks targeting in the 7-8 range, just so they don't run into trouble. As long as you are under, let's say 15, you are fine. Really, as long as you aren't over 28, you are okay. I just wanted to give some extra margin to work with...

This is true. I have a CYA of 80. I target 8 so I can be closer to 6 than 4 in my 4-6 range. It's more assurance that I will never get below 4.

[emoji176] Lisa P.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m kind of new to this forum But since I’ve joined it’s the first time in ten years I feel I have control of my pool chemistry and the term Trouble Free is a great description. So I’ve been reading this post this is kind of how I see it if I’m correct this is the 4th slam. Now I’ve read other post about marathon slams, so at what point do you take into account the cost of chemicals for the slam, frustration and then the lost time spent in the pool due to unhealthy chlorine levels. So when do you ask yourself would it be better to drain the pool and start fresh? Just curious when replacing the water is an option.

Water replacement is always an option. Just not $$$ for some folks. Like those in Cali!! Plus, once you get your pool fixed (SLAMed), and you maintain it correctly, you should never have to do it again. Usually, the only chems for a SLAM are bleach. Not much cost there. Especially when folks are comparing to pool $tore trips. One trip to a pool $tore can cost $250. Most SLAMs don't use that much in bleach. Also, you can always let your FC drop a few points below SLAM level. Swim and then bring it back up. It just means your SLAM will take longer. Nothing unhealthy about it.

I’m kind of new to this forum But since I’ve joined it’s the first time in ten years I feel I have control of my pool chemistry and the term Trouble Free is a great description. So I’ve been reading this post this is kind of how I see it if I’m correct this is the 4th slam. Now I’ve read other post about marathon slams, so at what point do you take into account the cost of chemicals for the slam, frustration and then the lost time spent in the pool due to unhealthy chlorine levels. So when do you ask yourself would it be better to drain the pool and start fresh? Just curious when replacing the water is an option.

Hmmmm....well it would cost me about $800 to fill my pool. Not including the cost of chemicals to balance and condition it again to CYA of 70. So probably well over $1000 to re-fill.

Bleach is cheap and that's all I use for SLAM (well plus an $18 XL kit which lasts a couple of SLAMs anyways). The 4 Slams probably cost me around $100 total so far, Maybe $125.

Not sure I'm done yet, but I will know for sure the next time my FC goes below 9-10. But I suspect I had an error in my SLAM process where I was using the wrong Pool calculator and was only SLAMing to 20 rather than the correct value of 28.

$800 sounds really high. According to the Sacramento Suburban Water District a 25,000 gal cost $32 dollars. The national average cost should be around $2 per 1,000 gal. I know I drained about 14,000gal out of mine Hardly noticed it ion my bill.

$800 sounds really high. According to the Sacramento Suburban Water District a 25,000 gal cost $32 dollars. The national average cost should be around $2 per 1,000 gal. I know I drained about 14,000gal out of mine Hardly noticed it ion my bill.

Yeah...sorry, I think I remember this number from a pool water delivery company when I filled my pool around 8 years ago. I'll be honest I have no idea what it cost out of my hose.

Water still sparkling and FC is coming down slowly (I'm running the SWG on 50%). Latest reading is FC=15.5.

The interesting part will come when the FC gets below 9-10 again as that's when the water has lost its sparkle the past 3 SLAMs. I will keep this thread updated. The last OCLT was 2 nights ago and came in at 1.0, so still passing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Results from last nights OCLT:

7/21 8:00pm TC=15.5,FC=15.0, CC=0.5
7/22 6:30am TC=15.0,FC=15.0, CC=0.0

Will turn SWG down to slowly drop the FC and see what happens when FC get down below 10.0

I am puzzled that you continue to perform OCLT.

In your case, it's purpose is to indicate to you that you have completed the SLAM. You have done that and no further OCLT is purposeful.

Secondly, your post above indicates you are running the SWG during this test. That doesn't work. You cannot judge chlorine loss with the SWG replenishing chlorine.

The SWG must be turned off during the OCLT.

I am puzzled that you continue to perform OCLT.

In your case, it's purpose is to indicate to you that you have completed the SLAM. You have done that and no further OCLT is purposeful.

Secondly, your post above indicates you are running the SWG during this test. That doesn't work. You cannot judge chlorine loss with the SWG replenishing chlorine.

The SWG must be turned off during the OCLT.

Sorry for the confusion. Let me explain.....

This is the first OCLT I've done since it first passed OCLT last friday/Saturday. I just wanted to make sure it was still passing a few days later (since I've had so much trouble this year). So, I agree, it's only purpose is piece of mind :)

As far as the SWG and OCLT, here is how I perform the test......

I leave the SWG on while the pump runs during the day. The pump runs until 7:00pm and then I flip the SWG switch off. I usually test the water between 7:30pm - 8:00pm. The pump comes on again at 6:00am (SWG switch still off). After letting the water circulate for 30 minutes, I test the water. After testing the water, I turn on the SWG for the day. So the SWG should have no impact on the OCLT.

Do I understand correctly that you have passed OCLT on multiple occasions in the past, kept your chemistry good afterwards, had no unusual events and ended up with an algae bloom or something again after a week or so anyway? And it typically happens when your FC drops below 10? Is that what you are trying to resolve?

Do I understand correctly that you have passed OCLT on multiple occasions in the past, kept your chemistry good afterwards, had no unusual events and ended up with an algae bloom or something again after a week or so anyway? And it typically happens when your FC drops below 10? Is that what you are trying to resolve?

Yes, that's a good summary. However, I wouldn't call what I experienced an algae bloom. My water lost it's sparkle but was still VERY clear at 8-10ppm. Perhaps it would have evolved to a full bloom if I left FC at those levels, but I don't know because I immediately started the next SLAM and the sparkle returned.

The one additional thing I would add is that on the first 3 SLAMs, I was using the wrong pool calculator and only shocked to 20ppm when I should have been shocking to 24ppm (for 60 CYA). After the 3rd SLAM, I upped my CYA to 70 (thinking I had solved the problem) so on the 4th SLAM, I shocked to 28-30ppm and kept there until passing OCLT (first night).

Just a quick update.......

FC has been testing in the 8.0 - 9.0 range for the past week or so. Guess what????? Still sparkles :D

If you recall, the correctly performed SLAM was completed on 7/18. So it's been more than 2 weeks since then and if you recall, on the previous SLAMs, I would pass OCLT,CC and sparkling tests but once FC dropped below 9-10, I would lose the sparkle. Well, hasn't happened yet.

My conclusion is that the previous SLAMs were at the incorrect shock level due to using an incorrect version of the pool calculator on-line. This last SLAM, I shocked to a little above my shock level of 28. Seems to have done the trick.

I am finally declaring success and want to thank everyone here for their input. It really helps to have a group of folks to bounce things off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.