Disgusted and Confused on What to Do Next

There may be a less expensive source. Target sells 8.25% bleach for $2.94 and Walmart has a similar price.

If you have to add 12 gallons of bleach per day, something else is going on. Is this a former baquacil pool?

No, not a former baquacil pool. I haven't been using a dozen/day the past few days, only the first couple days. I only put in 2 yesterday but the FC had gone back down to 12 last night & 8 this morning so I put in 4 this morning to bring back up to shock level. In Livingston both Walmart & Target are $3.79/gallon. I have been getting it the last couple of days at Dollar General - their regular price is $3.95/gallon, but they have it for $3.75/gallon on sale with an addition $.50 coupon off so brings it to $3.25/gallon - so that has helped a lot; have been going back there to get as much as I can for the $3.25 price. Now that I have it back at shock level I am hoping it is not going to take as much; at least I am hoping.

Sorry your prices are so high there! Walmart great value brand is only 2.96 here and target up and up brand is 2.99 in some stores and 3.19 or 3.29 in a few others (can't remember if it's 19 or 29 cause I'd never buy it at anything over $3!)

Sorry your prices are so high there! Walmart great value brand is only 2.96 here and target up and up brand is 2.99 in some stores and 3.19 or 3.29 in a few others (can't remember if it's 19 or 29 cause I'd never buy it at anything over $3!)

The Walmart Great Value brand is less then $3.00 here also but I could never find on the bottle whether it was 6%, 8.25% or what so I stuck with the Clorox brand because it specifies 8.25%. Just wasn't sure of the Great Value brand compared to the Clorox brand.

Yes. Until recently, our Walmart Great Value was not labelled either. I always found that really strange as so many people buy it. Good job checking % and freshness! Do you have any Aldi's near you? Ours has super-fresh (1-2 week old) half-gallon jugs for $1.39 ($2.78/gallon).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Lordy. Everything we think of to help doesn't work!!! We really, really want you to keep up with things. I forgot. Did you check pool stores for their prices on 12.5%? Our Menard's often has sales on 12.5%. I bought some clearance (10%) at Meijer once that I tested between 8-9%. I got a gallon for a buck. I went back after testing it and bought a bunch.

Lordy. Everything we think of to help doesn't work!!! We really, really want you to keep up with things. I forgot. Did you check pool stores for their prices on 12.5%? Our Menard's often has sales on 12.5%. I bought some clearance (10%) at Meijer once that I tested between 8-9%. I got a gallon for a buck. I went back after testing it and bought a bunch.

Don't have a Menard's or a Meijer - a bargain like that would be great. Just have Walmart, Target, Leslie's & Splash.

You could always test the Walmart bleach out. Add a measured amount to reach a certain FC assuming it's 8.25% and test in 1 hr and see what you got? You could do it in the evening with sun off the pool to remove that variable.

As long as it's the regular unscented stuff and not the one that says "cleaning bleach".

I'd say if your Walmart carries the 121oz unscented great value brand it is a direct competitor to the 121oz clorox and is most likely the 8.25%

How strange that they have different labeling in different states! I'd expect it if it was another country but it's just so weird that they'd bother with the expense of having 2 labels!

Is your target brand also unmarked percent? (it's marked here but they raised the price in 1 city. I still get it when I'm shopping at their other locations)

You could always test the Walmart bleach out. Add a measured amount to reach a certain FC assuming it's 8.25% and test in 1 hr and see what you got? You could do it in the evening with sun off the pool to remove that variable.

As long as it's the regular unscented stuff and not the one that says "cleaning bleach".

I'd say if your Walmart carries the 121oz unscented great value brand it is a direct competitor to the 121oz clorox and is most likely the 8.25%

How strange that they have different labeling in different states! I'd expect it if it was another country but it's just so weird that they'd bother with the expense of having 2 labels!

Is your target brand also unmarked percent? (it's marked here but they raised the price in 1 city. I still get it when I'm shopping at their other locations)

May try that. At this point though I am hoping that I am on the down end of using up so much bleach.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you have an ammonia test kit handy? You can pick them up at a fish store for a couple of bucks.

No, don't have that. What will that do?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.