New Pool - Quick Question...

Aug 24, 2014
Dallas TX
Hi - last weekend we had the grand opening of our brand new, 25k gallon in-ground (gunite) pool. As a part of our build, we had a 2 week startup process with a pool service company. Their last visit was this past Tuesday, so it's been without any service (and testing) for 6 days now. I'm actively searching for a pool service company (no small task - they are all working 100% right now), but am wondering if I need to be doing something to the pool until they can get here? We have the floaty that hold chlorine tablets - there were three in there last Tuesday, but the remainder dissolved yesterday. I hope to get a service company lined up by this Tuesday, but may be a couple days later - should I be doing something in the interim?

Yes....you should. You should be reading Pool School, familiarizing yourself with basic pool chemistry, and order one of our recommended test kits so you can FIRE the pool service and manage your own pool much more effectively (and cheaper too).

You can stop the search. Now that you've found TPFC you can do it all yourself. Simple stuff you buy at the grocery or hardware store. And a test kit from Tftestkits.net. The rest is covered in Pool School and Pool Math will become your friend.

Oh one added perk. Take the money you would have paid somebody else, and pay yourself. Seems only fair to me.

If you are dead set on having a pool service company, and against doing it yourself, at least add some chlorine tablets to the floater in the mean time to keep your chlorine up.

I will say, following the TFPC method has changed my outlook on swimming pools (At least for the better on TFPC pools, public/other pools much worse, lol).

Thanks, drcrimzon - that's exactly the advice I needed. While I'm sure many on this website do a wonderful job of maintaining their pools, some of us (me included) must travel a fair bit. And no matter how proficient you are at pool chemistry, it's hard to apply that knowledge if you are nowhere near the pool...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.