I was preparing to add some muriatic acid to the pool, and I was measuring and adding the muriatic acid into a bucket of water to be poured into the pool. I noticed a cloud of vapor rise up and out of the bottle of acid when I opened it, but the mist was not up near me. However, when I went to breathe, I hit a wall of vapor. I did not inhale much, and I did not inhale deeply, but yuck! I immediately stepped away into fresh air.
I was completely fine at first. About 10 to 15 minutes later, my tongue felt a bit swollen, and my throat was a bit sore. I can tell my asthma is now aggravated as well.
Am I gonna die?
I admit this scares me a bit. I did not breathe much of it, but I don't think I could have if I wanted too; it was so strong.
Anyone else experience this? Should I be wearing a gas mask to work with this stuff?
I do not like muriatic acid at all. I really wish I did not have to use it, but our pH and TA are soooo high.