"High" Salt Alert on SWG When Salt is Low

Hello! I am new here and new to the pool world and have been trying to problem solve. I have an 18x48 intex easy set pool and i purchased an Intex SWG for it. It keeps going off saying "high salt" even though the pool store and my salt water test strips are saying the salt is pretty low. Pool store said it was around 2800 but test strip is saying closer to 2300. Everything else is testing really well. Not sure what could be causing it. I hate to keep adding fresh water considering it will keep diluting it even more. Does temperature of water have anything to do with the reading or something need to be cleaned? I've only had it up and running for less than a month. Thanks in advance for any help!

Re: "High" Salt Alert on SWG When Salt is Low

Welcome to TFP. Have you checked your cell to see if it needs to be cleaned? I know that will trigger low salt alert, so it may trigger high salt alert also. Another thing I notice is if your SWG is on or turned on right after adding and you add bleach, that will trigger high salt alert if addin a lot.

- - - Updated - - -

Also test strips and pool store are not even close to my salt level. They always show way low. The K 1766 salt test is very accurate.

Salt tests are +/- 400 ppm. So, they are really just ball park tests to keep it in line. What the SWG says is really what is important because if it isn't happy and making chlorine then it really doesn't matter what the test says.

But, first you have to eliminate errors on the SWG. This is based on age, water temp and calcium build up. When you get an error on the SWG it is good to validate it with a salt test, make sure the water isn't too cold (<65-70) and the cell is clean. Inspect the cell, if there is any build up clean it with vinegar or diluted muriatic acid per the operators manual. Once your cell is 2-3 years old age is suspect. But, yours is new so there could be a warranty issue or defect.

Once you have eliminated the likelihood of a false error message then do what the SWG says to do which is either raise or lower the salt level until it is happy and making chlorine.

Most important of all is to use bleach to maintain your chlorine level at or above target level at all times while troubleshooting your SWG. Chlorine CYA Chart. Or else you will have a green pool and SWG issues! :shock:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.