Pool base questions

Jul 21, 2013
Currently preparing base for new pool. 33'x54" round (resin bottom rail). After reading multiple threads and internet searches, I am looking for advice on pool base. Ground is currently being leveled starting at lowest point and removing higher elevations. Hubby says sand 2-3", but after reviewing multiple install videos and threads/blogs, I am concerned about foot prints and our dreaded voles. Foam? I have read positive and negative. With the frame pools and bladders I wouldn't worry so much (and we have had several) but want to do it right. Many of the comments are that they can retain moisture and the pool liners sweat? Foam can cause gaps around frame and shifting? We have hard red clay under top soil how would that factor in? There was a great thread here about moisture content of various soils but a bit too complicated for me to fully absorb. Thanks! BTW my signature is for existing pool not new one.

We have the same size pool that you do. We put 4" of masonry sand inside the pool after the walls were up, shaping the cove as we went. I cut out heavy cardboard circles, about 3" wider than my shoes then duct taped them to my feet like snowshoes. Then I walked on the sand, smoothing, tamping, watering or whatever until it was ready for the liner. Then cleaned off my "sandshoes" to walk on the liner with during its install. The cardboard shoes prevents footprints. The pool has been up a year now and still has no footprints in it. Hope this helps. :)

We have the same size pool that you do. We put 4" of masonry sand inside the pool after the walls were up, shaping the cove as we went. I cut out heavy cardboard circles, about 3" wider than my shoes then duct taped them to my feet like snowshoes. Then I walked on the sand, smoothing, tamping, watering or whatever until it was ready for the liner. Then cleaned off my "sandshoes" to walk on the liner with during its install. The cardboard shoes prevents footprints. The pool has been up a year now and still has no footprints in it. Hope this helps. :)

Genius!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.