Backwashing Frequency?

eqbob

Jul 25, 2012
Central Texas
So here's a curiosity question for the collective.....

What do you use as a backwashing frequency?

My pool builder advised me to backwash when our filter pressure started to rise and got about the 13-15 psi range (We have a quad 60 DE filter for 12K water). However, I haven't seen it above that pressure in over a year.

Pool really isn't impacted by trees...more rose bushes than anything and all that stuff gets filtered by skimmer baskets. Mouse picks up any mulch found around the pool that gets in. So essentially, there's never any visible "dirt" in the pool, so no *obvious* reasons to run over and start the process.

Now...I've gone ahead and backwashed occasionally when I feel like playing, but just wondering if there's some rule ya'all follow?

Thanks.

I don't have a regular frequency. In my pool, the spa has a spillway into the pool - when that starts to trickle instead flow freely, then I backwash. It's approximately 2 1/2 - 3 months and super convenient since I can see it from my back window at the dinner table.

One thing my builder pointed out was if I opted to use pressure increase as my key indicator, I had to read it with the pump on high. When the pump is low, the pressure gauge never budges.

Interesting. I didn't get that caveat relating to the pressure reading. I also do look at the sconces and see their flow. Like your spillway, if that decreases, it is a sure sign of needing to backwash. I Can also see them from the breakfast table and do a visual check every morning at 7:30 or so when the pool starts up.

I completely took apart the filter and cleaned everything to pristine condition circa October of last year. Since then, I've backwashed twice.

Whenever you decide to do it, I suggest skip the backwash and tear the whole thing down. Clean completely and re-add the correct amount of DE. That filter will then outlast you.

Now some sand filter guy is going to say "that's why I love my sand filter!!!" No tear down required. Then they will be here in a year talking about broken laterals or some such *****e.

A bag of DE is 25 lbs. for me. So I will tear down 5 times a year. Takes a half hour. Clean and inspect. There will be no mechanical issues with a schedule like that.

It's an expensive piece of kit that is worthy of some TLC.

Ryan

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.