Rain impacted brushed concrete finish. Can it be fixed?

I must like money too much. :)

Don't get me wrong I like money too but you have to also consider the implications of that.

When I was buying my home I turned down lots of homes that had poor finish out because there were options that were better. That can cost you money if you need to sell. If it wasn't that bad and it would fade then yeah take the money. But if it looks pretty noticeable it is better to fix it now while you can unless the money you bank is the complete replacement cost and you keep it to fix it later if you need to sell.

Good point. We aren't going anywhere until I'm too old to be that concerned about resale. It does provide some latitude on certain issues. Ironically, that usually allows me to justify spending more for quality.

Right now, I'm still wiped out from the pool build. I just wouldn't have it in me to have it torn out.

But the guys are right. To me it makes a big difference regarding how long I plan to stay in the house. But that's why I chose pavers. I knew we would enjoy them a long time.

I think I'm in the minority, but if I didn't feel I could start over and do pavers, I would do everything I could but stand on my head to avoid even a partial tear out. Here in Houston, our concrete shifts so much that you can count on replacing it in 10-15 years or less.

I wish I could see it in person. I feel certain we can't get the true feel of the issue through pictures.

Where is Ascew!? She has fantastic creative solutions to problems!

Suz.

I could never live with that. My first option would be have him pay to do some stain on top if that would work. If you don't think that will work I would have him him rip it out. And then ask for a discount as well

Stain is out as an option, the color difference will show through unless we do something dark.

The PB is offering Miracote as the overlay. One color.

We don't want to potentially go from bad to worse. There is a chance we may do an overlay, but that will not be a quick decision for us. We are methodical and we would use the winter to vet our own contractors and research and look at old jobs.

It is going to come down to rip out or keep.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think it is important to offer some follow up pictures for people who may encounter this type issue in the future.

A year later and the finish still has discoloration. We went with option 3, and took a discount. We also had another follow up issue with our builder after this and it did not end well, he would not return our contact efforts.

All in all, with hind sight, the tear out and redo may have been the best route. We were sooooo done with everything by this point, the idea of the contractor doing any additional work on our property was not very appealing. The surface discoloration to us just looks dirty now. The surface too has some bad spots as well, I think from over troweling. We have not gotten any new quotes yet for new surface options, this summer was a 'let's just enjoy the pool and avoid all contractor talking' type of summer. Next summer we may explore some options.

Here are some current pictures taken this fall - 2016.
30454416986_5250b74cb6_c.jpg

30374099932_6cd4f9dd36_c.jpg

30374100662_6475a45e7d_c.jpg

29858598583_7ddd49179e_c.jpg

30454400306_6055320a2b_c.jpg

30454403316_344b9a4c0e_c.jpg

I'm considering using this on our deck in the future. It's called Cool by Encore Coatings. It's different from Kool-Deck type coatings because it doesn't have a varied texture and is not cement based. It call also easily be applied as a DIY which helps on the cost. I don't know if they scrub the product ratings, but it has 5-star rating on their own site (the pessimist in me). Many of the reviews are after a year or two of exposure.

https://encorecoatings.com/product/new-cool-pool-deck-coating/

Similar ratings on Amazon...several from contractors.

https://www.amazon.com/Cool-Pool-Deck-Coating-Square/dp/B006I99IJQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477495234&sr=8-1&keywords=cool+pool+deck+coating

In our application, I would paint each "stone" on our deck with a different color so the time to apply will be significant. For a one color application, I can see if being very reasonable time-wise.

Best of luck with your decision. Good idea to get some enjoyment this summer while not focusing on that issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.