Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Painting my PVC

1. Back To Top    #1

Painting my PVC

Another post I read about stripping the paint off PVC remined me to post this.

Is it neccasary or a good idea to paint the above ground portions of my PVC? I'd think it would help to prevent the pipes from degrading due to sunlight. Even after one summer I already notice the handles on my valves are slightly yellow compared to the newer ones.

If it is a good idea, should I paint everything including the valves and handles? Any reccomended/prefered brands or colors I should use? I was thinking maybe black because it would absorb the heat(extra heat is always a plus here in WI) and it would blend in with the surroundings a little better, exp. the pipes that connect the solar panels on the roof.

Thanks,
    Adam
    18' x 42" Intex Easyset Pool, with 16' x 52" deep end in the middle. Approx. 5500 Gal.
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1 HP, 100# Jacuzzi Brand Sand Filter(Piped underground so it looks nice) 8)
    3 - 2' x 20' Solar Pool Heater Panels(roof mounted)
    Goin' on 9 summers...NOBODY thought it would last this long.
    Buried Portable Spa sharing pumps and water with pool (Almost complete project)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Painting my PVC

Painting does help prevent UV degradation, but mostly it just looks nice. I use a base coat of Krylon Fusion paint to be sure it sticks to the plastic and then an overcoat of whatever color suits the application. It usually ends up being dark green to blend in with a garden. The only problem is you have to reapply every time you make a change to the plumbing.

3. Back To Top    #3

I also have used the Krylon Fusion for my exposed pipes. Just make sure the pipes are clean and apply as directed. It should last at least a couple of years.
    My pool is a 10,500 gallon (420 Sq Ft ) kidney shape. A hand made sheer decent waterfeature. STA-RITE HRPB30, Sand filter 30" 98 GPM,
    1 HP Maxi-Glas 2 pump, BBB Method, Taylor K-2005 test kit, 50 Watt 12V low-voltage pond light illuminates the pool at night for a nice soft glow.
    250 gallon stand-alone hot tub. Got it FREE!

4. Back To Top    #4

Can the black ABS pipe be used instead of PVC pipe?
    Thanks
    John
    24' AG, Jacuzzi CRF 750 Filter, Magnatek 1.5 HP 2 sp pump
    BBB Method

5. Back To Top    #5

No. ABS is not pressure rated.