Emergency help !

Actually, so that I do not have to wait 9 days for delivery, i might just get a replacement motor. What things do I need to look for to match up the right thing? I presume I do not need an exact replacement , so for example will any square flange 48Y work ? Are they all pretty standard or does it have to be a A.O Smith one ? thx

The cap is not for discharging a burst (that does not even make sense electrically), it is to create rotating field, as your 1-phase motor in fact is a 3-phase motor pretending to be one, and needs all three phases, so the cap creates those phases for it.
Without the cap therefore the AC asynch motor won't run.

If it gets hot, you likely have a winding short, or a turn short. Usually motor then is replaced or rewound. In this country - replaced.

The capacitors in car audio are there to release a burst when demand exceeds charging system capacity temporarily, but that's another subject. Back to this subject, are we talking about a start capacitor or a run capacitor? Does a start capacitor become a run capacitor once the centrifugal switch disconnects it from the incoming power? I'm good at the physical side of electrical stuff, but I start stumbling when I get to the theoretical side. If wye-delta ever comes up, I know I've gone too far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to clarify, I guess I am asking : can I use any pump that is 48Y - is that the key specification that measures compatibility ? thx

Wife is not happy waiting 7-9 days for a new pump - so I need to go to a store and buy a motor today , so my options might be limited. thx

Actually, so that I do not have to wait 9 days for delivery, i might just get a replacement motor. What things do I need to look for to match up the right thing? I presume I do not need an exact replacement , so for example will any square flange 48Y work ? Are they all pretty standard or does it have to be a A.O Smith one ? thx

Yes, 48Y is the frame size. That is what you need to look for. Just match the hp to what you have now. If you change the hp, you will also need to change the impeller to match. Also get a new seal. Are you thinking about a 2 speed pump or single speed?

In order to get a motor that will work with the pump you have you need to match the frame, voltage and SFHP (service factor * horsepower). You'll also need a new shaft seal. If you have a square frame 48y then another square frame 48y will fit. It doesn't have to be a particular mfg. Then all you have to worry about is the voltage (most likely a 115/230 dual voltage motor) and the SFHP. Since we know it's a 1hp you just need to look at the service factor.

Ok. So looking online and to get next day delivery , a motor plus new seals will be about 300 bucks. So I have decided to get at new pump . After some haggling , I have a pentair superflo being installed tomorrow , for 500 bucks including install and 3 year warranty .

Ok. So looking online and to get next day delivery , a motor plus new seals will be about 300 bucks. So I have decided to get at new pump . After some haggling , I have a pentair superflo being installed tomorrow , for 500 bucks including install and 3 year warranty .
Great!!

Just let them know that you want new unions installed, not pipe you have to cut later if you need to change something.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The capacitors in car audio are there to release a burst when demand exceeds charging system capacity temporarily, but that's another subject. Back to this subject, are we talking about a start capacitor or a run capacitor? Does a start capacitor become a run capacitor once the centrifugal switch disconnects it from the incoming power? I'm good at the physical side of electrical stuff, but I start stumbling when I get to the theoretical side. If wye-delta ever comes up, I know I've gone too far.

If the capacitor has only two terminals, it's a start capacitor. If it has four terminals, and two different Farad ratings on the side of it, then it's a start/run capacitor. But a motor can only use a start/run capacitor only if it was designed that way. The start capacitor boosts the motor's torque on startup so it can start spinning. The centrifugal switch disconnects the capacitor after reaching a set speed, usually between 50-75% of the motors normal running speed. If the motor uses a start/run capacitor, the centrifugal switch will connect the run side of the start/run capacitor at a set speed. Motor with a run capacitor will usually have a set of auxiliary windings in the motor connected to the run side of the capacitor.

On the theoretical side of things, the capacitor helps the motor by altering the magnetic field created by the motor coils. The coils being an inductor, and their electrical properties are counter acted by those of a capacitor.

I do want to correct one piece of information I saw earlier. Our pump motors are single phase motors, NOT 3 phase motors. You cannot connect a 3 phase motor to a single phase supply and make it work that way. Only 1 set of windings (out of 3) would be energized. 3 phase motors also don't usually need a capacitor. They set up their own rotating magnetic field, and are able to operate more efficiently than their single phase counterparts. Whats really neat, is that if a 3 phase motor spins the wrong way, you can switch any two of the three power leads, and it will spin the other direction. The only way to make a 3 phase motor work on single phase power is to use a motor-generator (M-G set), or a rotary convertor. A capacitor cannot create 3 phase power by itself.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.