New to the pool scene

JB2901

Jul 8, 2015
ITHACA MI
I have a pool that hasn't been used in 2 years, and has been uncovered. I decided to open it this year and have been using shock, clarifier, and chlorine floater. It has cleaned up the water to the point to where I can see the bottom of the pool finally after several sessions of sweeping it I have managed to get the debris out, but every time I sweep it the water becomes very cloudy. after turning the pump off and letting it sit for 6-8 hours I can see the bottom again. there is a ton of really fine brown looking material that sits on the bottom that I just can't to seem to get cleaned out of the pool. running out of ideas. all my levels are with in the recommended ranges so not sure what else to do. a should also mention that I have been adding DE to the sand filter. Any and all Help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to TFP! We can certainly help. Here's a basic run-down of what we would suggest:
- Make sure you have the proper test kit (i.e. TF-100 – link below) is the foundation of your pool care. Why this kit? We've learned through personal experience that you cannot reply on pool store testing, test strips, or simple over-the-counter kits. They simply do not read Free Chlorine (FC) or Cyanuric Acid (CYA) levels accurately or to the high levels we need. If you do not have a TF-100 or Taylor K2006 test kit, it should be your #1 priority.
- Post those test results for us
- Read the Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain page. It is what we use to clear-up cloudy/algae pool water.

Do not use any more pool store products as they tend to skew your other chemicals. Until your test kit arrives, simply use liquid bleach each evening as recommended by the Poolmath calculator .

Once we see your test results, we can really get aggressive with your water and help you further. Glad to found us, and welcome!

Welcome JB, and excellent move on getting started right. Check out Pool School whe you wait on the kit, and ask questions if you need too. Let us know when you have numbers, and we will be here to help.

a polishing bag or duda diesel 1 micron bag will filter that fine stuff at the bottom, or at least it did mine. We were vaccuming the suff through the filter and back into the pool until I bought a bag. It will even filter out the ultra fine pollen.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.