Thin algae on pool floor

May 15, 2014
canada
So I had an algae problem a few weeks ago after going away for a few days. I treated it with liquid chlorine, following the slam process and it appeared as though the algae was gone. Also I have a salt water pool and but am currently chlorinating with liquid chlorine as I need a new swg. I had to buy a heater this year so I just can't afford the swg this year. Also, I don't have a Taylor test kit as they are hard to get a hold of in Canada at a reasonable price. I am testing with strips and my chlorine level is at or above recommended levels all the time over the last week. But still I am getting a very thin layer of green algae on the bottom every day. I'm not sure why this is happening. I am brushing and vaccuuming all the time. I have cleaned the filter numerous times and I am keeping my chlorine high. Again it is only a thin layer I am getting with light buildup around the seems.
Thanks.

This is really easy. The FC has not been high enough long enough to kill the Alage. You cannot complete a SLAM with strips unfortunately, as you must have a high range (FAS DPD) kit for that. Until you elevate the FC and maintain that elevated level as per the procedure and pas all those criteria you will not have done what we refer to as a slam. It is shameful what a full Taylor kit costs in Canada to be sure. As much as it may seem ridiculous, it's still worth the purchase price to ensure your pool is well maintained. Sorry I don't have a better answer for you, but I know some Canadian residents have had help from friends getting a kit for them down South, or by otherwise acquiring them at US prices.

If you're testing with strips, it's unlikely you know your actual CYA or were able to complete the SLAM process properly without a FAS-DPD chlorine test or individual CYA test. You probably never fully eliminated the algae due to not knowing if you were maintaining proper shock level FC based on CYA, unreliable CC test on strips.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.