Milky white water after gritty substance removal

You people are crazy!!! What have I gotten myself in to???? Kidding..

So the package will be here Monday (I just checked UPS) and I will do the tests as soon as it arrives. I assume the test has directions in it?

More than anything I'm curious to see what exactly the problem is here. I have a new filter and it's been running for days and I the pool is getting worse somehow. It's 85 degrees here today and we can't swim.

I'm hoping you guys will make me look like the big hero!

Ok the results are in.

FC: 1ppm
CC: 0
TC: 1
pH: 7.2
TA: 150
CH: 225
CYA: It was totally full and I could still see the black dot so infinite I guess? Or 0. Maybe I did it wrong, I followed the instructions. I also know I added about 5 pounds of conditioner this year.

Also, here is a photo of the pH and Chlorine test:

attachment.php

- - - Updated - - -

Ok the results are in.

FC: 1ppm
CC: 0
TC: 1
pH: 7.2
TA: 150
CH: 225
CYA: It was totally full and I could still see the black dot so infinite I guess? Or 0. Maybe I did it wrong, I followed the instructions. I also know I added about 5 pounds of conditioner this year.

Also, here is a photo of the pH and Chlorine test:

attachment.php

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know why there are 3 copies of that picture. And it appears my text has been repeated for some reason too, sorry..

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know why there are 3 copies of that picture. And it appears my text has been repeated for some reason too, sorry..

Attachments

• IMG_7258.jpg
    IMG_7258.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 151

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay here we go. Remember the SLAM link posted to you on page 1? That is what you need to do. It is the first line of defence against trouble in the pool

Get you water in line using these guide lines. The one that will be a little different is the PH. It should be at 7.2 for a SLAM.

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Brush, brush, brush some more.

Take pics of your steps so we can watch it with you to see if it clears.

Kim

- - - Updated - - -

Have you taken any of the water out of your pool and put it in a clear cup and watched to see what happens over time?

Pogue,
I think they just got their kit today. So probably not.

Besides I don't think they are to the point where it would make sense yet anyway....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thom,
If you put that much CYA in, and you now have ZERO, (if the sample stayed clear and you saw the dot clearly, then you do have zero-- The value decreases as the vial fills up, it's not like a measuring cup...) then the chlorine demand could be from ammonia...

One of the mods posted recently about a couple ways to figure out if it's probable...

I know one way is to dose a 5 gallon bucket of pool water with a tablespoon(?) of bleach, mix really well and test just like you would normally... Wait 30 mins, and test again. If the drop is less than 25%, I would probably test again after another 30 minutes.

You'll be able to see a couple things... First, you'll get a good chlorine reading, and know what it's supposed to look like ;)...2nd, you'll see how fast it drops, which it will bottom out quickly if there's ammonia... 3rd, you can use that same bucket of water and dose it repeatedly, in order to figure out how much chlorine might be needed to get things on the right track in your pool.

Basically,you are using the bucket and creating a miniature version of your pool, with the water from your pool. It makes it easier to figure some things out. And you will be able to see the light at the end of the pool shaped tunnel...

Some people have been able to test with an ammonia test that's usually used for aquarium testing.... But that won't tell you the whole story, anyway... And it costs more money and you've gotta wait until you can go get it.

The bucket test lets you start looking for answers immediately. It's what I would do if it were my pool.

I am not 100% sure on the amount of bleach to add... But I know there are others here who can chime in with that.

Pogue,

Besides I don't think they are to the point where it would make sense yet anyway....

Gotcha about today! I was suggesting it because OP wasn't sure it was a chemical balance problem. The OCLT will determine if there is something in the pool consuming the chlorine; not just for determining the end of a SLAM. I like to have baseline data.

But again, it isn't even possible if the test kit came today. [emoji6]

[emoji176] Lisa P.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are saying to add bleach and not chlorine to my pool?

Pogue,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thom,
If you put that much CYA in, and you now have ZERO, (if the sample stayed clear and you saw the dot clearly, then you do have zero-- The value decreases as the vial fills up, it's not like a measuring cup...) then the chlorine demand could be from ammonia...

One of the mods posted recently about a couple ways to figure out if it's probable...

I know one way is to dose a 5 gallon bucket of pool water with a tablespoon(?) of bleach, mix really well and test just like you would normally... Wait 30 mins, and test again. If the drop is less than 25%, I would probably test again after another 30 minutes.

You'll be able to see a couple things... First, you'll get a good chlorine reading, and know what it's supposed to look like ;)...2nd, you'll see how fast it drops, which it will bottom out quickly if there's ammonia... 3rd, you can use that same bucket of water and dose it repeatedly, in order to figure out how much chlorine might be needed to get things on the right track in your pool.

Basically,you are using the bucket and creating a miniature version of your pool, with the water from your pool. It makes it easier to figure some things out. And you will be able to see the light at the end of the pool shaped tunnel...

Some people have been able to test with an ammonia test that's usually used for aquarium testing.... But that won't tell you the whole story, anyway... And it costs more money and you've gotta wait until you can go get it.

The bucket test lets you start looking for answers immediately. It's what I would do if it were my pool.

I am not 100% sure on the amount of bleach to add... But I know there are others here who can chime in with that.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, if it IS algae what do I do about that? Buy Algicide?

I only have a minute before work so I'm going to jump in to answer 2 quick questions...

bleach is chlorine, sodium hypochlorite is bleach is liquid chlorine

algaecide is more for prevention than to deal with an active algae bloom

bleach aka liquid chlorine is the answer.

The SLAM process is guaranteed to clear up any algae and anything else organic that could be going on in a pool.

The OCLT that pooldv linked to would be a good starting point. It will tell you if there is something going on in the pool. A really quick overview is that....chlorine is consumed by 2 things, organics and sunlight. So by doing the OCLT (Testing just after dark and just before dawn) we remove sunlight from the equation. That means if you lose more than 1FC overnight something organic consumed it. If that is the case, the SLAM process is the answer.

I'm sure someone else will help to explain more. I have to leave for work in a few minutes and I'm only halfway through my sandwich and I'm not dressed yet! :shock:

LOL

I'll try to post from work later too...but not until a break. :(

Yes, we use liquid chlorine, aka bleach. You can buy it at the grocery store in 8.25% or at a pool store for 11% or 12%.

Whichever is most convenient and economical for you. The very first thing I would do is the OCLT. That will give you some good baseline data.

[emoji176] Lisa P.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.