1 week Vacation?!?!?

RHanel

Jul 29, 2015
Ridgefield, CT
Hello everyone,

I have a question for all of you, I will be going away for 1 week and I am concerned about the chemistry for my pool. Currently this is what I have:
PH 7.5
FC 7
CYA 60
TA 160
About 2 weeks ago I did start to get some green algae starting and I quickly Shocked the pool which cleared it up in 1.5 days (was very happy). Now I am getting ready to leave for a week and this is what I am thinking I will be doing:
1) Shock the pool
2) put on my Solar cover to help keep out the leaves.
3) keep the pools filter running for 8hrs. per day (this is what I normally do).

Is this a good idea so when I come back the pool is in good shape? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you everyone.

The first question you are going to get is how are you testing your pool? We need to know we can trust the numbers you are saying you have.

You do have an option of getting your pool up to SLAM level (which for CYA of 60 is FC of 24) putting the solar cover on and hoping for the best.

Normally we would recommend a floater with some 3” pucks but your CYA (maybe we dont know how you tested it) is a little high. But we can manage that when you get back.

Good advice comes with good data, you need a quality test kit.

I would raise you FC, throw some pucks in a floater, and put the solar cover on. You should be fine for a week. Your CYA will go up but it should be manageable.

How are you chlorinating and how much FC do you lose per day?

But without knowing more, I would raise your FC to SLAM level for a CYA of 60 using liquid chlorine. That way you don't raise your CYA, which is already right at the borderline high level. I'm assuming you don't have a salt water chlorine generator, because if you did then leaving for a week isn't an issue.

Even better if you have a friend or neighbor who could drop by in the middle of the week and pour in a gallon or two of liquid chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.