1.5 to 1.25 adapters VS cutting liner...which is better???

sarah.anne

Apr 14, 2020
St. Louis area, in IL
We have a brand new Intex 12'x30" Prism Frame AG Pool & finally decided on & purchased a Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump for AGP (12", 110-120V w/ GFCI). I have been all over forums & product reviews but there seems to be mixed opinions on how to make these 1.5" pump hoses work with a pool with 1.25" openings. So I'm asking directly, for myself:
- Which is the more effective method & best for my pump & pool (adapters, or cutting to enlarge holes)? why?
- Can you give me specific instructions to do either, safely/effectively?

THANKS!!! :)

Either will work. Just using the adapters is much easier, but it has the downside of making the pump work a little harder and lowering the overall flow rate. It can also be a little awkward and unwieldy where the bulkhead comes out of your pool.

Cutting the liner to install a 1.5 inch bulkhead is obviously a little more work (although it’s not really that hard) and has the advantage of less back pressure on the pump and higher flow rate.

But like I said, either will work... it’s more about how much effort you want to put into it.

As far as how to cut the hole, I actually just wrote this up for someone else this morning, so here you go...

Cutting the hole was a bit nerve wracking, but in the end it’s really not that bad. If you are doing it with the pool full it helps to have a helper inside the pool. Here is how I did it:

First, double check to make sure that everything is ready and within arm’s reach. You’ll want to be able to grab what you need quickly since you will be losing some water during parts of this process. Also, make sure that there are no tools or anything on the ground near the pool that can’t get wet. You might also want to wear shorts and take off your shoes.

Turn off the pump and make sure the suction ports are closed off, otherwise when you disconnect the tube from the return water will flow through the pump and drain from the pool.

Next use the little black rubber cap to plug the return from the inside of the pool and disconnect the hose and put it on the ground. Some water will drain out of the hose, but you shouldn’t lose too much. At this point things should be stable. You won’t be losing any water from the hose and the little black cap inside the pool is preventing water from draining through the return.

Take the rubber gasket off of the new bulkhead and hold it in place around the existing return, then use a sharpie to trace around the inside of the gasket. This will be the hole that you will cut out. Put the gasket back on the threaded part of the new bulkhead. When it is installed the gasket goes inside the pool.

Make sure that the new valve is closed because you’ll want it to stop the water as soon as you get the new bulkhead installed.

Now, take a deep breath because this is when things start getting a little hectic. But remember that losing some water isn’t the end of the world and it’s not like you need to rush. Work quickly, but carefully and it’s ok if water spills out as you work.

This is also the point where it’s helpful to have a helper inside the pool. Have the helper hold a small Tupperware container over the existing return bulkhead. As you start cutting the liner the suction from the water leaving the pool will hold the Tupperware against the liner and slow the amount of water leaving the pool. This will make it easier to cut since you’ll be able to see what you’re doing. There will still be some water leaking out, but not a lot.

Use a sharp utility knife to cut the hole. It actually cuts very easily. Try to cut just on the outside of the line you made. It doesn’t have to be perfect as the gasket is pretty thick, but try to go carefully and do a good job.

Once the hole is completely cut out and your helper is still holding the Tupperware over the opening there shouldn’t be too much water leaking out. But this next part is where you’ll lose the most water. When you and your helper are ready, do the following:

Remove the tupperware and the old return bulkhead. This will fully open the hole under water, so be prepared for a large amount of water to be coming out. Grab the new bulkhead and push it through from inside the pool. Have your helper block the opening with their hand. This should stop a significant amount of the water draining out, but there will still be some leaking out around the new bulkhead.

Grab the large nut and screw it onto the new bulkhead. Depending on how well your helper is sealing the opening with their hand this should stop most or all of the water from draining out. Install the new vent into the top of the bulkhead and the new valve. At that point your helper can remove their hand.

Verify that there are no leaks, then attach the hose to the bottom of the new valve and you are good to go.

Reactions: Tony Panameno
That's a fantastically thorough reply!! Thank you so much. Yes, it just seems so daunting to cut into the lining of our brand new pool!! The adapters do seem so much easier, but I have read that it can cause the pump to work harder- & I'd like to avoid the pump crapping out prematurely.

But if we were to go the adapter route, I'm a little unclear on what type to order. When I search "Intex 1.5 to 1.25 adapters" I get several styles- which is the type I would need?
1588216349892.png1588216366997.png1588216391763.png1588216443249.png
I'm sorry...I'm so dumb about this stuff...I'm not the least bit mechanically inclined, so I barely know what I'm looking at! lol The method we use will ultimately be my husband's decision, as he will be the one doing the work- he just doesn't have the patience for the research. ha This would all be so much easier if I could just walk into our local pool supply store & speak to someone, but I'm so spooked to go into any stores these days. :-/

The first and third picture are two different styles of the same type of adapter. That type of adapter will let you put a 1.5” hose on a fitting that was designed for a 1.25” hose. It is what you would use to connect a 1.5” hose to the 1.25” bulkhead on your pool.

The fourth picture is the same type of adapter that is shown with a shutoff valve. The shutoff valve is nice to have, but not absolutely necessary.

The second picture is an adapter that would connect a 1.5” fitting to a 1.25” hose. You could use that adapter on your pump and then use a 1.25” hose to your pool, but I wouldn’t do it that way.

All that said, I just noticed that your pool is only 12x30. That’s a pretty tiny pool and as such I wouldn’t worry about cutting the liner. Like I said, you might get a little extra flow rate with a 1.5” bulkhead, but there won’t really be any benefit with your small pool.

Also, if you haven’t opened your pump yet you should do so before you buy any adapters. Usually the pumps come with adapters so they can be used on pools with 1.25” fittings.

Reactions: sarah.anne
That's a fantastically thorough reply!! Thank you so much. Yes, it just seems so daunting to cut into the lining of our brand new pool!! The adapters do seem so much easier, but I have read that it can cause the pump to work harder- & I'd like to avoid the pump crapping out prematurely.

But if we were to go the adapter route, I'm a little unclear on what type to order. When I search "Intex 1.5 to 1.25 adapters" I get several styles- which is the type I would need?
View attachment 135810View attachment 135811View attachment 135812View attachment 135813
I'm sorry...I'm so dumb about this stuff...I'm not the least bit mechanically inclined, so I barely know what I'm looking at! lol The method we use will ultimately be my husband's decision, as he will be the one doing the work- he just doesn't have the patience for the research. ha This would all be so much easier if I could just walk into our local pool supply store & speak to someone, but I'm so spooked to go into any stores these days. :-/
Top Left is called B Adapter I believe
I was debating same thing
But this week I will be cutting it rather then adapters to have a good flow, my pool
Is brand new as well

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.