Zodiac R0444300 Handheld Replacement

Feb 5, 2016
Antioch, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My Zodiac handheld is failing. When selecting menu items it has a delay or doesn't move. The screen is fading so it is hard to see. Remote is about 6 years old.

Thoughts on buying a replacement handheld or upgrading to Iaqualink 2.0 upgrade kit? pro/cons

Attachments

• aqualink handheld.jpg
    aqualink handheld.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 3
Depends if you are happy with the PDA UI.

You can upgrade to iAqualink 2.0 for wireless control and bring your own device. If you get iAQualink 2.0 make sure you get the right version for your system Rev level...

Or replace your PDA...

If it were me, I'd upgrade to the iaqualink 2.0. Replacement kit for your hand hand held appear awfully expensive ($500+ labor) and Zodiac/Jandy are not DIY friendly at all. To get any warranty you'll have to pay an authorized tech to upgrade to iAqualink 2.0 and the cost/availability will depend on your controller board firmware.

If you're not a DIY-type the requirement for an authorized upgrade isn't a big deal. I used a Jandy RS12 with iAqualink 2.0 successfully for several years and it worked great! All internet based control systems have some server down times but all are infrequent. If you are a DIY and electronics/programming enthusiast there are a number of open source applications. My Jandy system worked great till the big lightning strike. I used that opportunity to upgrade to Pentair Intellicenter but it's $2000+ even if you DIY it. Pentair does severely limit DIY warranty but it was good enough for me to be confident there were no manufacturing defects so I was OK with that. Other than glitches with a very new system that have been mostly fixed, I think it's the best way to go in today's automation market.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.