Yo-yo effect with metal staining

Suelehpool

Jul 10, 2022
Flemington NJ
Hi all. For weeks now I've been yo-yoing back and forth between lowering my chlorine, adding chemicals to treat metal staining on entire surface of my pool and then once clear adding chlorine back in and then watching the staining come back. What's more is that in treating the metal staining my pool gets extremely cloudy. I've taken my filter apart and cleaned my DE filter grids twice. I've tried, pool stain treat. I've tried Leslie's metal free. I've tried pro team metal magic. I've tried ascorbic acid. I've used pool magnate. I've used the cuLator thing in the filter basket. I'm running my filter almost 24/7 for weeks now. I use polyquat for algae control. I've put a filter on the end of my all plastic hose for when I top off the water level since I do have a well. I've had the well water tested and while there is some metal (iron and copper were tested) the levels aren't high. I've switched to polyquat for algae control. I've vacuumed to waste, I've backwashed numerous times. I've spent so much GD money on chemicals and I'm at my wits end! Beyond using the strips I've been taking my water samples to the stores (all 3 in my area) and they all tell me the same story and recommend their version of whatever product. I'm beginning to think the chlorine tabs I'm using are laced with something! Anyway. Not sure what to do but clearly I'm not doing the right thing. Maybe I just need to balance the water properly, deal with the staining? Or maybe I'm too impatient dumping in one chemical to counter balance the effect of another and never letting one really work as intended?Sigh.... any help (in the most dumbed down Barney style way) is MUCH appreciated! TIA. ~Sue PS: It's an inground pool 16000 gallons in the sun all day. I run a DE filter and use chlorine. It is a Carlton pool that was refinished with aquabrite in 2019. This is the first time I have ever had this problem in 20 years of owning this pool.

Hi all. For weeks now I've been yo-yoing back and forth between lowering my chlorine, adding chemicals to treat metal staining on entire surface of my pool and then once clear adding chlorine back in and then watching the staining come back. What's more is that in treating the metal staining my pool gets extremely cloudy. I've taken my filter apart and cleaned my DE filter grids twice. I've tried, pool stain treat. I've tried Leslie's metal free. I've tried pro team metal magic. I've tried ascorbic acid. I've used pool magnate. I've used the cuLator thing in the filter basket. I'm running my filter almost 24/7 for weeks now. I use polyquat for algae control. I've put a filter on the end of my all plastic hose for when I top off the water level since I do have a well. I've had the well water tested and while there is some metal (iron and copper were tested) the levels aren't high. I've switched to polyquat for algae control. I've vacuumed to waste, I've backwashed numerous times. I've spent so much GD money on chemicals and I'm at my wits end! Beyond using the strips I've been taking my water samples to the stores (all 3 in my area) and they all tell me the same story and recommend their version of whatever product. I'm beginning to think the chlorine tabs I'm using are laced with something! Anyway. Not sure what to do but clearly I'm not doing the right thing. Maybe I just need to balance the water properly, deal with the staining? Or maybe I'm too impatient dumping in one chemical to counter balance the effect of another and never letting one really work as intended?Sigh.... any help (in the most dumbed down Barney style way) is MUCH appreciated! TIA. ~Sue PS: It's an inground pool 16000 gallons in the sun all day. I run a DE filter and use chlorine. It is a Carlton pool that was refinished with aquabrite in 2019. This is the first time I have ever had this problem in 20 years of owning this
Hi Sue! Did you happen to get anything figured out?
So sorry that I don’t have the answer as I’m struggling with the same issue, but with a 50,000 gallon plaster pool with sand filter in Costa Rica.
I haven’t found a hose filter locally to deal with high copper & metal levels in the city water, so try to top up the water as infrequently as possible… but I’ve had to vacuum to waste a lot lately (longer story) so it’s been necessary!
It’s a struggle because I don’t want to leave the chlorine low too long as the PH wants to creep up with the rains…and then uncertainty creeps in with green cloudy water being the copper or newly developed algae…and then potentially adding too much chlorine too soon…leading to more reaction with the copper. Aaaaaaah
Definitely a madness making yo-yo situation!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.