Iron staining removal without an AA treatment?

RookWDW

May 20, 2021
Ohio
Hey gang.

My pool always has a bit of iron in it. I got it mostly under control, but over time I get a bit of staining on the pool steps, lights, jet fittings and skimmer area. Water looks great and has been running well for months with no issues. The last time I though I'd just use a tiny bit of ascorbic acid just near where it needed it; it worked great ... but it killed my FC and I had to add liquid several times a day for a week until it used up the AA. Metal Magic also seems to help but I also see my FC drop when using that, though not as bad. Is there a trick here to treat the light staining without upsetting my FC balance? My recent readings should be in my log.

Hey gang.

My pool always has a bit of iron in it. I got it mostly under control, but over time I get a bit of staining on the pool steps, lights, jet fittings and skimmer area. Water looks great and has been running well for months with no issues. The last time I though I'd just use a tiny bit of ascorbic acid just near where it needed it; it worked great ... but it killed my FC and I had to add liquid several times a day for a week until it used up the AA. Metal Magic also seems to help but I also see my FC drop when using that, though not as bad. Is there a trick here to treat the light staining without upsetting my FC balance? My recent readings should be in my log.
The trick is to dump the water after you treat it and refill with water that doesn’t have iron in it. Could also try filtering some iron out with poly fill in the skimmer, some have reported success with that.

The trick is to dump the water after you treat it and refill with water that doesn’t have iron in it. Could also try filtering some iron out with poly fill in the skimmer, some have reported success with that.
I've been working on reducing the iron in it each year via large refills from a truck (though I'm not convince their water has no iron vs it has been treated and thus tests as no iron); and I did the poly trick when the water was brown. That's not my issue today, the water is clear and the iron is under control generally. But, how to I add any chemicals to reduce the minor staining without upsetting the current FC balance.

The backstory is, we are having a party and I'd like it to look great, but I don't want to risk sending it out of balance and being a PITA during the party.

If it’s just a couple stains use some crushed up vitamin c pills in a sock to erase them temporarily. Rub it around. I did a bunch of spots in my pool & didn’t notice an fc drop. You’ll wanna up your fc before for the party anyway.

Reactions: Bperry and RookWDW
Unless you use a sequestrant they will return. But you can wait until after the party. Maybe try a different one - like Jacks and see if it effects fc the same way.
Are you using the maintenance dose or the initial dose each time?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.