Yet another horror story?

woodyp

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 17, 2010
East Texas
Talked with some people this weekend who have a nice ingrown with flagstone and USED to have a SWCG....2 kids at the time.

I get the part about the SWCG chewing on the flagstone, but they also said it ate up a nice grill poolside and a metal (not aluminum) back door.

Any debunkers out there to say otherwise? These folks know zero about water chemistry, could care less and always paid a service (and still whined about it)

Gotta blame something. The SWG can't defend itself.

Hmm... certainly not my experience. My 12 year old grill is doing just fine, along with my metal patio furniture. The only corrosion I've seen is to a cheap screwdriver I dropped in the pool and couldn't fish it out for a few days and is still useable but has noticeable rust on it. I suspect the screwdriver would also have rust on it if it fell into a non-salt pool as well.

Unless there is some serious cannon balls going on, I would think it would really be a stretch to blame the back door and grill on the pool. Its not like the ocean where you have salt spray in the air.

Reactions: woodyp

A great example of how safe tabs are.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Suggesting that the miniscule 3000ppm salinity level of a pool would somehow cause a grill on the patio and a freaking entry door to rust out is very extraordinary to me. Doors and grills literally on a beach next to the ocean generally don't rot out the fast, and they have to cope with significantly worse stuff.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Suggesting that the miniscule 3000ppm salinity level of a pool would somehow cause a grill on the patio and a freaking entry door to rust out is very extraordinary to me. Doors and grills literally on a beach next to the ocean generally don't rot out the fast, and they have to cope with significantly worse stuff.
Now if they were storing their muriatic acid, in the heat, near those items - I can totally believe extensive corrosion damage!
Those self-venting bottles are no joke.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Should have seen their faces when I saw some pics and immediately told them black algae. Never even heard of such an animal. Pool service never actually brushes the pool though....just vaccuumed.

Last edited:
Middle of Ft. Worth so no sea spray involved!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.