Yet another first-timer with no clue what he's doing...

Yeah, hoping it works itself out before that point. Not that plumbing is that big a deal, but one of the 3 pipes off of the filter (return) doesn't have a coupler on it, so would have to cut one out and put it in before I can get the top off of the filter easily. Will have to do it eventually anyway, but was holding off on taking apart the things that are still working properly until I get the rest of this under control. Don't want to break something mid-slam and lose the progress.

I'll definitely get to it, because I want to do a deep clean there after the SLAM is done and the pool is up and going. Also probably need another half-bag of sand; there was a small mound of it outside the filter from the screen being missing when winterized by the previous owner. Was told it wasn't enough to worry about given the non-easy access at the moment, but just on the to do list.

As for the rest? Just grinding it out for now. Getting the automation going (and knowing the salt cell works or gets replaced) will be big. And being able to vacuum with the robot ought to give me another boost. I've pretty much just been brushing and filtering since the initial dredge work I did. Wasn't getting great results with the manual vacuum and not enough large visible patches to justify the work. Robot ought to get a lot of the fine particles out of there and speed up the process. UPS has it out for delivery today :)

Well, he's in and doing his thing, so we'll see. Thinking "Nemo" (because he's a Nautilus, not for the fish), but we'll see.

So, checked the filters after 30 min or so, just so see how he was doing. Should I be worried about sand? Not a TON, exactly, but definitely SOME in both of them. Hoping it's just blown in over the past 3+ years, or bad closing job, put away a little dirty, dunno. Guess I'll be able to tell better once I've run him a couple times and can tell whether it's replenishing itself or not. Can't see the bottom in the deep end, so don't know if it was just there or tiny amounts from all over added up to it. Know I can put something over the returns and check those for sand to know for sure, just not there yet.

Thoughts?

I also tend to see a little bit of sand swirling in the filter sight during the rinse cycle, if that helps with guessing whether I've got a busted lateral or something in there (or that's just expected). Not a lot of sand, but a tiny bit swirling around. And there's a few clumps in the driveway from either the backwash or rinse cycle with the hose. Sounding less good the more i type...

Ugh, was getting that feeling. Not happening before the weekend, though. On the plus side, after 2.5 hours of additional vacuuming, not too much more sand, so really wasn't a ton overall. But between that and the flecks in the driveway, imagine there's something there to look at too. Would involve cutting into the pipes, though, so going to have to wait for now.

SO, here's where we stand:

IMG_2200.jpg

Good on the shallow end, clear 2/3rds of the way down the ramp. Deep end still murky with a bit of a green tinge still IMO. Not sure if some of that is the reflection from being surrounded by lawn and trees, so partially green background to reflect.

Of concern, i ran a CYA test on a lark. (thought it might still be a tad low). Near as I can tell, came in between 50-60 kinda consistently. Dumped it and tried again, about the same result. Not sure if the pool volume estimates were too high for the CYA I added originally, or I wasn't good at reading it before and it wasn't as low as thought. Also first time I've been able to test with a nice sunny day, sun at my back. Either way, looks like I should work to a higher SLAM level to finish, no? SWG pool when I finish, so I was going to have to raise it eventually anyway I guess.

Math says I should go to 24 FC. Relax and stay the course, or bump up and let it rip? I've got enough bleach to get there, so not a biggie if I go that route. I've added nothing but bleach and the 10lb of CYA at the start (and some fresh water to replace backwashes a couple times), so shouldn't be getting in other ways...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Think I didn't ask it right, let me try again:

Been assuming that CYA was 30, so been maintaining FC of 12.

Not sure if I was bad at CYA test, or messed up new one, or just not using the right pool volume numbers, but today ran CYA and got ~60. Seemed higher than expected, so did a couple times, even took new sample, and still was getting 60.

Not saying it was right then, or before, or whatever, but should i readjust the FC based on the CYA value I saw tonight? I.E. change to 24 FC vice 12 FC?

Yes, have been getting clearing, but not sure if that's contributing to it not really moving as much lately. (CYA crept up as it absorbed, but I kept FC based on 30).

I adjusted it back based on the CYA of 30, but have the FC available to bump to account for CYA of 60 if you think I should follow the latest test. Know it's definitely not desired, but other than wasting bleach, what's the downside of running FC at 24 if the CYA value was closer to the 30 than 60? (allowing for potential I am still not doing the test right)

Not sure which way to go, so left it alone for now.

Think I didn't ask it right, let me try again:

Been assuming that CYA was 30, so been maintaining FC of 12.

Not sure if I was bad at CYA test, or messed up new one, or just not using the right pool volume numbers, but today ran CYA and got ~60. Seemed higher than expected, so did a couple times, even took new sample, and still was getting 60.

Not saying it was right then, or before, or whatever, but should i readjust the FC based on the CYA value I saw tonight? I.E. change to 24 FC vice 12 FC?

Yes, have been getting clearing, but not sure if that's contributing to it not really moving as much lately. (CYA crept up as it absorbed, but I kept FC based on 30).

I adjusted it back based on the CYA of 30, but have the FC available to bump to account for CYA of 60 if you think I should follow the latest test. Know it's definitely not desired, but other than wasting bleach, what's the downside of running FC at 24 if the CYA value was closer to the 30 than 60? (allowing for potential I am still not doing the test right)

Not sure which way to go, so left it alone for now.
Yes. If CYA is 60, and it sounds like you're pretty confident it is, then shock level is 24 FC.

To be sure, anything above the minimum will kill algae, it's just so slow that Summer will be over before you're done. So you haven't been completely wasting your time, just sort of dawdling. Still time to get things sparkling before Memorial Day. I expect raising the FC will bring some better results.

Basically none lost overnight, still tested at about 25 this morning (did the 5 ml sample). Hopefully keeping the FC up at the new level will speed this to the finish line. Was getting results still, but had definitely slowed down vice the early drastic improvements. Shallow end is looking good, clear visibility and can see just about end to end without issue. Deep end is decently clear to about 6' roughly (side walls and about 1/2 way down the side slopes). I think the green tint is still more a function of being surrounded by grass and trees, giving that reflection, but it's at least still dark/cloudy in the deep end, so it continues. Never seen the main drain. When the robot is swimming, I never lose sight of the white float on the cable, but that's about 3' from bottom if I had to guess.

I'll get there, just hoping this last push puts me over the top.

Pool guys are supposed to be installing the new automation control panel today, so looking forward to being able to shut down the stupid timer running in the background! I expect the next thing will be it telling me that the salt cell is shot, but as GI Joe says, knowing is half the battle :)

Yeah, only got the phone call so far, but when I get home, look forward to that. And being able to see that the salt cell is probably dead. But either way, will be nice to let the automation do things, uh, automatically. If this SLAM ever ends, I can get a nice new salt cell and hopefully get this thing on (close to) autopilot.

Right now, I've done 100% work and 0% play in the pool, so will be nice to swim eventually and try to reverse the ratio!

Confirmed, automation back in business! Spent a minute playing with the settings, and then immediately took out the timer that has been the bane of my existence!

Other than that, SLAM continues. Keeping 24-25 FC, just letting it ride. Was hoping for more dramatic results once I bumped it up, but patience I guess. shallow end still looks good, maybe a little more clear in the deep end? Can see some of the power cord below the white float, so I think maybe that's progress. just keeping it going. Admittedly, tempted to give it a little DE to cheat things along...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.