Yet another first-timer with no clue what he's doing...

Just read your whole thread. Got sucked in bc I'm in the same area of country, have the same shaped pool, and also surrounded by woods.

My pool used to be blood thirsty too, mostly frogs and toads with an occasional mouse or chipmunk. The critter skimmer helped quite a bit. Still get a ton of frogs, but now they are usually alive when I catch them. (Ok, I'll be honest, when I go running in the house and get husband to rescue said frog.). We have wetlands on our land so we send them back home. I don't know why frogs would hop all the way up a steep hill to swim in salty chlorinated water when they have a nice home where they are, but they tend to come in groups so I imagine some sort of tourist bus bringing vacationing frogs up the hill with their frog luggage.

I noticed the critter skimmers are up to 41 on Amazon. A few years ago I got mine for 22 and I only needed one. I understand the reluctance.

And I don't know what the story is with the worms. We get them too.

I picked up a pair of the frog pag things, so we'll see if that does the trick. Those were $15 each, seemed like a better value for the problem I'm trying to solve. I like the more integrated look of the skimmer ramps, but not at $40+ each. And to be honest, while dead mice in the pool is gross, it won't upset me to have fewer mice near my house and potentially getting in causing other problems. Fished out another small one this morning. It also looked like the comments said the escape hole in the skimmer ramp was kinda small, so may not have helped the chipmunks that were skinny dipping in the pool anyway, the more open approach of the frog pad should improve that. Shows up tomorrow, so we'll see.

Color continues to improve. Will take a pic tonight, but shocked at the level of improvement in less than a week (will be one week tonight). Know I'm not in the clear yet, but still pretty dramatic turnaround in 6+ days; figured I'd be at this a month or so, and now feeling like it could be half that time. Just gotta let the filter do it's job, and keep the bleach up.

Automation system still not working, so will have more questions soon-ish about how I approach that once I'm nearing end of SLAM. Assume I'll just pretend I'm not a SWG pool until I get it working? Will have to play that by ear, but hoping I can get that thing diagnosed and repaired sooner rather than later.

Yeah, I'll grab some pics of that tonight as well.

Just random Amazon pricing, but like 200 if it's the controller, roughly 300 for the circuit board if that's the issue. Or go nuts and replace the entire wall enclosure for roughly $1200, which includes a new T-15 salt cell as well. Mine's of unknown age/operation at present. (house is only 10 years old, so that's best I can do for an end cap on potential age). Not sure that last step is required, but if I have to but the first 3 parts anyway, entire thing with box is brand new for only $200 more. Likely overkill.

Today's color/clarity photos:

IMG_2184.jpg

In this one, you can now see the hook at the bottom of the ladder in the deep end. Too hard to see in another photo I took, but I got my first sight of the bottom of the pool (in the shallow end) today. Can finally see down and detail!

IMG_2186.jpg

This is what I have going on on the Automation front:

IMG_2191.jpg

Looks to be AQL-P-4 system. Service button blinks (as I'm using that to bypass the timer function in there that keeps trying to shut off the pool at 8pm and like 4am), check system blinks, pool blinks, and filter blinks. Only two lit in the photo, but trust me, all blinking when in use. Stop the filter/pump, obviously stops blinking that one, etc. The labels for Control and Light are backwards (apparently not a great attention to detail by the electrician), so it's the lights that are off for the time being, obviously power to the control system is applied. The LCD screen, as you can see, is not displaying anything. When you press buttons, the backlight for it comes on, but no text at all. Looks to be wired up for a wireless controller, but was not present/found when I bought the house. Had renters for 3 years previous, no idea if it ever existed or was lost/broken along the way. Guess I could buy one to see if that does the trick, but an expensive troubleshooting technique if the stuff has to be replaced anyway, or it isn't compatible with whatever new system gets put up.

Any thoughts? Didn't get any action in the "everything else" forum that automation appears to belong in...

I think once I get it all working (i.e. probably replaced unfortunately for my wallet) it'll be nice; just annoying in it's current state. Once I'm done with the SLAM, though, won't be able to control the salt cell as-is. Assume I can pretend it's a regular pool until that time? Any changes/impacts there?

killed a mouse and 3 chipmunks yesterday. Those ramps show up this afternoon, can't wait to get them in and try to stop the bloodbath.

Thinking I'm going to pull the trigger on a robot now that I can see some of the bottom and I know I'm not sending him in on a suicide mission. Dolphin Nautilus Plus seems like a decent tradeoff of price and performance, with top-loading filter cartridges. Anyone have strong opinions on that one either way? Seems to sell for about $685 everywhere, looking at going with epicpoolsupply to ensure I get a valid warranty and fresh unit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
1 day since last fatality. Not sure if it's coincidence or causation, but no dead mice/chipmunks today. Got the frog pad things installed yesterday afternoon, seem like they should do the trick, time will tell.

Pool continues to improve, I can see about 4' down with some detail, so I'm somewhere on the ramp at the deep end. Still a little cloudy, but will get there with time/bleach.

Yeah, the bills are definitely going to pile up on this thing quick between everything I'm buying/replacing, and that's before I see what 24/7 pump operation does to the electric bill!

On the plus side, like you said, most everything will be new by the time I'm done, so i'll at least be in a known age/condition. Will eventually probably tackle the heater, but a next year problem. Will see how it works without it this year before tossing more money that way. Pump is older but working fine for the moment, so keeping an eye on that one next.

I love your humor thru this! I found myself chuckling at times. Keep plugging away at the SLAM. It took me about a week last year to get my SLAM finished where the pool would hold chlorine through the day and not lose so much overnight. It can be done and your pool will be beautiful when you're finished! Keep posting pictures as well. I love to see how the clarity progresses!

Thanks, try to keep it light/entertaining. Otherwise, it's just another bland cry for help :)

And yeah, keeping it going. Amazed at how fast it's progressed, figured I'd be in for a month of pain, but after a week, I already feel closer to the end than the beginning. May take a while to get rid of the cloudiness, but that I've got decent clarity on the first 4' or so of depth is very encouraging. Especially considering the pool was off for 3+ years and I have no idea what I'm doing! I feel that is probably a point in my favor, as I'm just following your directions without trying to out-think you or introduce bad habits...

Anyone replaced an automation system before? Waiting for the pool guy to get back to me with cost, but seems like it almost has to be way cheaper to just do myself. I've got the Aqua Logic P4, looks like I can get the Pro Logic PL-P-4 as a pretty close form/fit/function replacement for around $580, which gets me everything but a new salt cell. Does that seem like the right choice (and a good one to get)?

Well, looks like I'm batting 50% on the rodent saving devices so far. Came home to another floating chipmunk, I guess he couldn't figure it out. Also came home to this:

IMG_2192.jpg

Was wet and had clearly been swimming. Either too scared or too stupid to figure out the ramp, but smart enough to get up on the raft at least. Pretty tiny guy, too. He wouldn't get off, so I picked up the whole thing and put it on the ground, and still had to shoo him off. But first confirmed survivor!

Also, as you can see, water looks good. Here's the standard shot of the steps for comparison:

IMG_2193.jpg

I'm able to see to somewhere on the down ramp, so it's improving. Just keeping at it.

Yeah, those frog logs seem to work pretty well. Until my dog ate them! That dog got sent to a horse ranch so maybe I need to get a couple more. Our frogs, toads, snakes and mammals seem smarter now, I haven't fished one out in a year or more.

Found a small mouse in the skimmer this morning, so they haven't passed the lesson on to their friends yet! Either way, can say I tried.

Water still improving, just working on the ramp and deep end now. Imagine it will help with the little stuff when my robot shows up next week.

So, in reading other threads, have another question: I've got a copper bond wire attached to the pump. One end appears to snake along until it eventually goes up the side of the house and latches to the bottom of the automation control housing. Other end isn't going anywhere. Bad? I don't see any obvious point it snapped off of in the concrete, not sure what else it should have been attached to...

This part of the process is boring :) Just keeping the filter running, brushing and bleaching. Water is a light blue-ish, still a little cloudy, with a touch more green towards the deeper part of the deep end. Just wash/rinse/repeat at the moment.

Pool Robot shows up tomorrow, so looking forward to a good vacuum and hoping that helps speed it along by removing more of the fine stuff. Pool guys are coming to fix the automation on Friday, so hopefully I'll then be in control of the timer and the salt cell.

FC goes down a little faster than it did when I started, but we've finally had some sun around here, so that sorta makes sense.

Coming along, just the slow part with the sand filter...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.