Yellow Algae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bromine is not bromide. Bromide is the salt you added to the water that becomes bromine when oxidized, then is consumed and reverts back to bromide. Like any salts it does not leave the water without being physically removed.

John, is there a reason you've got such a poor attitude? You came here for help but it appears you're only interested in arguing with everyone. Is that how you think you fix your pool, by pretending to have it all figured out? How's that worked for you so far?

Take a sample and have it tested tomorrow...will be interested to see what you get...I love a good experiment!

Explosion Fail GIF by Guava Juice

From your article..."If bromine has NEVER been added to an outdoor pools in the form of tabs, shocking the pool (5+ppm of chlorine in a single dose), added on sunny days, will tend to remove the bromine/bromide. However, repeated doses may be needed.

I'm saying, tomorrow, do repeated doses of 5+ppm of chlorine, with the pump running. Test your FC after 30 minutes. Repeat until you can get FC to hold at 5ppm...

With repeated doses, I think you can get about 24, 5ppm doses, dosing every 1/2 hour. Trouble will be the testing, as you are using pool store testing. I would not do additions without a test kit, to protect people and equipment.

Doing this is a great experiment to prove if a single, or repeated dosages will work. Could be a fun experiment, and not too costly, a few bucks on chlorine to prove it out, one way or the other. If not, then I think @mknauss is spot on.

My money is on @mknauss the man has helped clear more pools that anyone else on this site, including mine.

View attachment 501455
#1 he didn't say anything to help me with my issue other than tell me I have now converted my pool to bromine. #2 I have a home test kit I'll check FC and submit a picture tomorrow and this is after putting in 3 lbs of shock this evening. I try to keep 4 tablets of chlorine in my chlorinator at all times. When I triple shocked my pool it took several days for it to come down to suitable swimming levels so I know my pool is not bromine if it chews it up that fast.

Bromine is not bromide. Bromide is the salt you added to the water that becomes bromine when oxidized, then is consumed and reverts back to bromide. Like any salts it does not leave the water without being physically removed.

John, is there a reason you've got such a poor attitude? You came here for help but it appears you're only interested in arguing with everyone. Is that how you think you fix your pool, by pretending to have it all figured out? How's that worked for you so far?
I don't pretend to have anything figured out I'm not arguing with anyone. I didn't care for Marty's sarcasm but other than that @PoolStored has offered great advice and @reggiehammond has been super helpful. If anything I'm upset with the trials and errors I've had to experience and the money I've wasted. Nothing personal to y'all at all.

I think this is all semantics anyway the original statement from Marty is that my pool has been converted to bromine by adding bromide.

I don't pretend to have anything figured out I'm not arguing with anyone.
I guarantee you I'll have 10+ ppm FC tomorrow all day.
I know my pool is not bromine
Gee, guess that's not arguing or pretending to have it all figured out. My mistake. Whoops, was that sarcasm?

If you're upset at the errors and wasted money then I suggest you take a look in the mirror, because that was all you. Your best decision making did all of that. Maybe it's time for you to step back and approach this with a bit of humility and respect for the people who can help you? Marty has helped many hundreds of people and you decided that a little sarcasm aimed at your impossible claims was worth burning that bridge. How is that helpful to fixing your pool? Is that even your goal anymore?

Gee, guess that's not arguing or pretending to have it all figured out. My mistake. Whoops, was that sarcasm?

If you're upset at the errors and wasted money then I suggest you take a look in the mirror, because that was all you. Your best decision making did all of that. Maybe it's time for you to step back and approach this with a bit of humility and respect for the people who can help you? Marty has helped many hundreds of people and you decided that a little sarcasm aimed at your impossible claims was worth burning that bridge. How is that helpful to fixing your pool? Is that even your goal anymore?
When I offered a differing of opinion based on another article I read "Great- Hope that works out for you" and you come in as in internet Captain America here to right all wrongs. I think the slam method y'all recommend is completely valid. I think the stuff I get sold at the pool store is a waste of money. If you have an opinion of my attitude feel free to DM me or be butt hurt I guess.

You, um, do realize you're the one with the screwed up pool, right? Your family are the only people affected by this. And you're spending your time poorly antagonizing people who are quite well versed in pool chemistry?

And you're proud of yourself? You have my sympathy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You, um, do realize you're the one with the screwed up pool, right? Your family are the only people affected by this. And you're spending your time poorly antagonizing people who are quite well versed in pool chemistry?

You realize that I didn't personally ask you any questions. I could have delt with @PoolStored directly and been just as happy. My pool is completely acceptable I'll take pictures of it first thing in the morning for you. You have offered nothing except semantics and opinions.

• Haha
Reactions: Donldson

Wait, What? Great! What test kit do you have? Brand and model number?

Look forward to pics and a set of test results!!!
Hey @PoolStored good morning, attached is a picture of my pool this morning and picture of my test (HTH 1275 did not bother testing PH). I'm just asking because it helps for me to understand but if I check this later this afternoon without adding anything should my test be testing levels of low to nothing if I have converted my pool?

Side note: again, it's not obvious that I have an algae issue but when I brush it I'm definitely pushing a green/yellow powder that's on the floor of the pool. Doesn't appear to accumulate on the walls.

Attachments

• IMG_3434.jpg
    IMG_3434.jpg
    454.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3433 (1).jpg
    IMG_3433 (1).jpg
    858.1 KB · Views: 5
Can we confirm the "Yellow Treat" that you used on the pool? Is this the exact product? How much did you add?

1686229076018.png

Yes, to your conversion question. Remember, there are no distinctions in this test you posted between bromine and chlorine. That High number either means you have high chlorine (you added shock) or bromine (the bromide reacted with the chlorine to create bromines). The difference is that CYA will buffer FC loss, there is no buffer for the bromine and will quickly go back to Bromide. Let the sun shine and we'll see how fast you lose the chlorine or bromine.

The bromide to bromine cycle is:

• Bromide + Chlorine ---> Bromine + Chloride
  • Bromine broken down by sunlight or oxidizing ammonia or an organic ---> Bromide

Last edited:
Does anyone else think it's time to lock this thread? I see no progress whatsoever.

OfficialJohnM, this forum is about teaching a method we know works.......on EVERY pool. If you chose your current path, there is no reason to continue wasting one another's time. Let us know.

Reactions: clambert1273
Can we confirm the "Yellow Treat" that you used on the pool? Is this the exact product? How much did you add?
I added 3 capfuls of yellow treat which is 67.6% sodium bromide in 25,000 gallons and SLAMed pool to approximately 10 ppm (approximately 3 weeks ago). Saw no results withint 24 hours. Added three lbs of 73% cal hypo for every 10,000 gallons so roughly 8 lbs and didn't see any results after 2-3 days. Added 1 gallon of Suncoast Algae eater plus and cleared up within hours.

I've read that bromine can cause 65% degradation within 2 hours and within 4 hours my levels are completely zapped. I'm not here to dispute experts in the chemistry world and based on other articles I've read y'all are the leading experts in forums on this field. I believe Frank was the founder on this in your forums. What I can tell you is that I have baselines for my pool and I'm not going through anywhere close to that level of degradation of whether its chlorine or bromine that I'm testing.

I have not added anything else to the pool except 3 lbs of shock last night.

Does anyone else think it's time to lock this thread? I see no progress whatsoever.

OfficialJohnM, this forum is about teaching a method we know works.......on EVERY pool. If you choose your current path, there is no reason to continue wasting one another's time. Let us know.
Feel free to close the forum if I have any questions I'll DM someone. I'm slamming the pool have a nice day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.