Yay, Foreclosure Pool!!!

You read my mind. I was looking at the bottom of my pool wondering how I was going to get all the big stuff up without it taking hours.

Each time I emptied the pot, I would have to turn the pump to "filter" so I could fill the vacuum hose again from the returns in order to get a good suction. And then rig the hose to stay underwater while I turned the pump to "waste". It was definitely a workout and an art. This will save me A LOT of time and energy. Thank you!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We're all so happy to help someone who helps themselves and is friendly and appreciative!!! Do you have a net? Pool stores carry them.

Also, I have to admit that after reading about you refilling the vacuum hose, I couldn't help but think about how I use my valves to adjust vacuum suction. If your PVC-saavy Dad ever comes to visit for a long enough stay.......

Send us a pic after you vacuum!

Ooooooh I thought I already uploaded pics!
Here ya go! From yesterday--
Before:
75288ca62f4b7da6d357a133ea12b913.jpg

f1e5dfef24d2213440162443e15a7626.jpg

9b5b3bc88a77cc6bc8bc7a42b62a69e9.jpg

After (well after the third of the pool I vacuumed):
734caa81a62b617627a1e7a97d995fcd.jpg

b4261f3b1bc1185d58fb28e43e1e8532.jpg

ec6200818fb2d0401f4171258cabbfea.jpg

Progress!

You can see I missed a lot in this corner here. I had kicked up all the gunk by going over it with the vac while the pot was full. Once I figured that out and emptied the pot, suction returned to normal... Yesterday was a huuuuge learning experience. This whole experience has been so empowering. Thanks for the encouragement!!!

You are doing great!!!! The pool is really coming along beautifully. It's making me a believer, hahaha!

Post some test results too. Wanna see those FC/CC numbers. Where is your CYA again?

Judging by the original condition of the pool, I can't imagine the work you must be doing inside/outside the house too. Oh my. You go!!!

A leaf canister added in the vacuum line will mean you don't have to stop and empty the pump basket every few min. There are a lot of different ones avail from about $30 up. Large capacity and as you get the poll,cleaner, some can use a finer screening to get the very fine filtration. Here is an example of one

Leaf Canister - Pool Maintenance Equipment | Pool System USA

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
IIIIIIIII'm in trouble.

I have all but a pile of muck at the bottom of my pool left to vacuum, but no water is flowing out from my backwash hose!!

I emptied all the strainers. And removed the vacuum hose from the skimmer.

My strainer pot gets maybe an inch of water max. I tried to get water flow by turning the pump to "filter", "re-circulate", and back to "waste" and nothing is happening (except a dry, angry sounding pump).

Do I have a clog? Any suggestions?

In hindsight, I should've spread out the leaves a bit on the bottom of the pool to get more water flowing with the leaf clumps.

Uggggh this is not what I wanted. I saw the light at the end of the tunnel. I was so close!!!

Keep the pump off except when priming. It's bad to run the pump without water.
Did you lower the water level of the pool below the skimmer?
Do you know how to prime the pump?
You can see if the impeller is clogged. (Shut-off all power to the pump and use a tool to do this).

HUGS! Been there, done that! Too many leaves and CLOG! Do the above and do NOT leave the pump on if there is no water flowing into the pot with the lid off.

In fact............stick a hose down into the pot with the water end pointing towards the pool and see if the pressure of the water will help clear the clog. With the power OFF to the pump please!

Let us know what helps so we can use the idea in the future.

kim

Thank you guys!!!! Ah! Love you all!!!

I'm running the water hose as I vacuum so water level is fine.

I will definitely use the leaf take next time [emoji106]?

I tried to prime it just by bleeding pressure on the Hayward during "filter" mode. This didn't work because there was no water even getting to the pump. Is there another way to prime the pot?

I did the garden hose toward the line headed to the pool. That and turning the pump on and off slowly like 20 times was the trick.

Oooh it was such a relief to hear the water rush!

You guys are amazing [emoji175]

Yay!
To prime, take a large bucket of water (pool water probably handiest) and fill the pump pot until it overflows a little. This takes more water than the volume of the pot itself as some will run into the pump or down into the suction line. Put the lid on quickly and turn on the pump. Then, when bubbles come close to disappearing from the pot, bleed the filter.

Thank you, Marian! What way do you usually prime yours? By allowing the pot to fill in its own when turning the pump on or by filling with water?

Random side Q: anyone know what I can google to get a better understanding of this concept? I need a "pool plumbing for dummies" book [emoji12]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.