Yay, Foreclosure Pool!!!

I hate to ask, but I have to ask... Were there any cracks in the o-ring? Any dirt or leaves or something in the channel for the o-ring?

- - - Updated - - -

Is there any kind of registration key that needs to be lined up?

I have exactly the same filter. No O-ring, the newer seal has a circular strip of metal with rubber laminated on both the top and bottom of it. The band, isn't really a band but is in three pieces with hinges between them. When I seal mine back up, I take a rubber mallet and tap the band in, all around the tank to get it to seat really well. The bolt that holds it closed should tighten up enough that the the end of the bolt is through the nut. If any threads inside the nut are exposed, it's not tight. Some times I find that it seems tight but just tapping around the band will make the bolt feel loose again. If you have the new type band and seal I described, you just need to tap it all around the band then tighten the bolt a bit more. Do this, of course, with the pump off. That should seal it up.

Fixed it!!!

I took off the o-ring and wiped it down completely and did the same with the housing and lid at the seams. Then reapplied silicone lubricant spray ($3 Home Depot) and gobs of o-ring lube ($8 Leslie's).

Feeling like a rockstar!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Beader, there was dirt (DE) in the channel for the o-ring! And there was a crack showing the metal ring inside the rubber, but the crack was on the outside of the o-ring. Does that make sense? Is that ok?

And please don't ever hate to ask anything. I'm book smart, not street smart to a fault haha

I didn't see a registration key... I do think I didn't have the band right enough initially. Well, that and the issue with the gunky DE/lube mess along the o-ring.

I'll look up the difference between rubberized seals, gaskets, and o-rings... And yes, there was a bit of a gap. Maybe a couple millimeters.

I hope this makes sense. I love Tapatalk for adding pics and vids easily but this text box is sooo tiny!!

@chief! I think that's exactly what I have. I will invest in a rubber mallet for sure! Thank you!

So in videos I've seen, there was a spring mechanism between the band and the nut. I don't have one of those. Am I missing it or is that just not part of my type of pump?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The old version of the seal used an O-ring and a one piece band that had a spring in middle of the bolt. That's what was originally on my filter. What you have is the new updated "safer" version of the sealing system.

Did you try bleeding the air out of the filter with the orange/red knob on the top of the filter? That might help the 2 hour wait on "no air in the pump pot.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you try bleeding the air out of the filter with the orange/red knob on the top of the filter? That might help the 2 hour wait on "no air" in the pump pot.

I did try bleeding the air. I do that until it sprays water then tighten it again. Is that all it should take?

I've noticed that if I turn the pump off and on a few times with a couple seconds in between, the bubbles aren't so intense. But they still take about 2 hrs to disappear. Any ideas on why this is?

1) that's it.
2) could be a bunch of things. You did lube the o-ring on the pot and check it for little cracks, right? Forgive me for not rereadingng this whole thread... Do you have a main drain? If so, you could try shutting it off (or almost off) and then partly open and close your skimmer valve repeatedly. It will kind of "bleed" your skimmer line. You can do the reverse with the main drain.

Easy fix if it works. If not, we are still looking for a suction side leak which can wait as you have other issues.

Hi! I did lube the o-ring on the pot and there are no cracks. And no water is leaking from the lid (or anywhere I can see).

I really don't know if we have a main drain. I remember seeing one long ago when I had a crazy Craigslist pool guy drain and acid wash my pool.

A few pages back, Kim was helping me figure out if I had a shut off valve for my main drain and I really don't think I do. Where would that be? And where would my skimmer valve be?

Let me know if you need pics!

Thank you all so much for helping and supporting me through this!

I'm limited to nap time pool work today through Labor Day. Tuesday I'm going to take out my filter grids and clean them one by one. I'm almost certain I have to have a tear...

If you zoom in, you may be able to see what I think is DE [emoji37] coming out of the jets:
e8829564334615cd3abf9f931f138e77.jpg

Also, my CYA was less than 20 ppm, so I added more of that today.
pH 7.5
FC 10ppm

Pool still looks cloudy, but better than yesterday -- Woo!
e81d577114dce9b337b4ef1bd702cdca.jpg

42892ebed210f0732a25651924199bdd.jpg

Seeing those pics would you sweep or try to sneak up & vacuum the pool?

1) checking the o-ring is for an air leak
2) main drain would be a drain on the floor of the pool
3) they would be valves before the pump pot. I wi look back at your pics and see if I see anything. I am on a short break too
4) can't help with DE filters

Ah. Just read my last comment and I am showing how tired I am. I meant to say I don't know if we have a valve to the main drain. We definitely have a main drain in the center of the pool. When I get home I'll look near the pot for a valve. Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.