Wiring Saltron to Apollo 11 Controller

beerandloathing

Aug 21, 2023
Florida
I just inherited a used hot tub with an Apollo 11 Controller and was separately recommended to get a Saltron mini and convert it to a saltwater chlorination system. Sounds simple enough but I would like to do this using the spare inputs on the back of the controller instead of having to run an extra 110 line to the tub. Can anyone here tell me why I should or shouldn't do this before I start down this path?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-21 at 10.13.00 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-21 at 10.13.00 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot 2023-08-21 at 10.12.44 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-21 at 10.12.44 AM.png
    846.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot 2023-08-21 at 10.11.09 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-21 at 10.11.09 AM.png
    73.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot 2023-08-21 at 10.10.45 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-21 at 10.10.45 AM.png
    86.8 KB · Views: 5
b,

The only downside that I see is that you have to get to the power supply/control module quite often, so if you plan is to mount the module inside the hot tub's electronics area, it will be pain to use.

The timer does not have clock, it just works based on how long it have been since it was powered up. As an example.. if you want it to start making chlorine at midnight for 6 hours, you have to wait until midnight to turn it on.. :( Once set up, it will keep starting at midnight, until the power is removed.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: RDspaguy
b,

The only downside that I see is that you have to get to the power supply/control module quite often, so if you plan is to mount the module inside the hot tub's electronics area, it will be pain to use.

The timer does not have clock, it just works based on how long it have been since it was powered up. As an example.. if you want it to start making chlorine at midnight for 6 hours, you have to wait until midnight to turn it on.. :( Once set up, it will keep starting at midnight, until the power is removed.

Thanks,

Jim R.
I think I follow, but do you know if any of those inputs on the controller are always "hot" so that it doesn't cut off power and reset the timer? I also don't know anything about the Apollo 11 controller yet but the goal would definitely be to have the Saltron run on it's own without having to access it every day and the other pump and heater turn on when pushed. Is it maybe just as simple as leaving Pump 2 (as an example) permanently on via the controller?

You first need to determine the purpose of these "spare" circuits, as this will determine operation. They should be labelled on the front of the box cover.
Then find the amp rating of the circuit in question and make sure it can carry the load.
Then determine total amp draw of the spa and compare to the breaker rating to ensure that the extra amps are available without changing the programming or wiring.
Then figure out how you intend to access it. It appears that frequent access is required.
I suggest you follow manufacturers instructions on wiring.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.