Winter closing in Seattle?

Depends on the typical weather you experience in your location. If it's just cold and wet, then probably no. But if you have days/weeks of sub-freezing temps it may be worth it. I'm going to modify your thread title for more local hits.

Reactions: s.hashemirud
Link below just in case you need it.

Any piping or equipment that is above ground will be subject to hard freezing and will likely burst.
The freezing temps are very close now. I'll be taking my plumbing and equipment off this week or next.
Should I bring water below the skimmer or Pump the water down till it is about four inches below the bottom of the returns ( the instruction says!)?

Any piping or equipment that is above ground will be subject to hard freezing and will likely burst.
The freezing temps are very close now. I'll be taking my plumbing and equipment off this week or next.
I also don’t have a cover, can I keep it open? . Mine does not get that much dirt or leaves and I can use vacuum in case it gets and make sure the water level is not going higher

Your location is Seattle. I assume it is really Seattle, not up in the mountains.

I would suspect simply draining all surface equipment and possible putting some pool noodles in the skimmer would be sufficient. Likely doing that in December and starting everything back up in March.

I know we have a long time member in the Pacific NW that does that.

Your location is Seattle. I assume it is really Seattle, not up in the mountains.

I would suspect simply draining all surface equipment and possible putting some pool noodles in the skimmer would be sufficient. Likely doing that in December and starting everything back up in March.

It is Seattle not in the suburbs

Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you elect to shut the system down (lowering water level, pump off, filter empty, etc) for the winter, that means water will not be moving through the plumbing in which case you should try to remove as much water as you can from equipment and plumbing above ground level. This is to prevent expansion just in case you experience some days of hard freeze temps. Folks up north who have a low frost line blow out the plumbing lines that are a few feet below the surface. You may not get that cold in Seattle, but you should protect the lines above ground to be safe. Be sure to refer to that link provided above for more closing details.

Hello all, I contacted a pool company. This is their answer for closing. Does it make sense to you?

The maintenance department recommend leaving the inground pool operating through winter, our winterizing process is to keep them operating with winter-kits that have an algaecide and sanitizer. You do not need to have a cover on the pool.

If the rain is getting in the pool, then the pool can be “vacuumed to waste” by using the filtration system.

Depending what area you are located in, we do have a maintenance contract services which takes care of the pool once a month in the winter and weekly in the summer. The contracts start at $425 depending on location.

If you are interested in a cover, our inground department can assist you with ordering a custom-made cover for your pool, they are accepting work order requests however they are booked several weeks in advance at this time.

Thank you for reaching out to the Maintenance Department,

Have a great day!

You can do that. Biggest issue is a poorly timed loss of power. Though your electrical system is pretty stable in that area.

I would do what they say for now. If you have freeze protection, use that plus run the pump a couple hours a day. Keep the FC in the target range for your CYA.

When December comes, have a plan to be able to drain the surface equipment. Especially if you plan to be away during the holidays.

You can do that. Biggest issue is a poorly timed loss of power. Though your electrical system is pretty stable in that area.

I would do what they say for now. If you have freeze protection, use that plus run the pump a couple hours a day. Keep the FC in the target range for your CYA.

When December comes, have a plan to be able to drain the surface equipment. Especially if you plan to be away during the holidays.
Thanks! I don’t have freeze protection though

You do not show what pump you have in your signature. Can you fill out your signature more completely?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.