The reason SWGs shut off below 60°F is that the chlorinator cell needs to work harder to produce chlorine in colder water. As the temperature of the water lowers, so does the conductivity of salt water. Most ions need a certain level of heat to separate and then rebind. The longer the saltwater chlorinator works harder than normal, the shorter the lifespan the cell has. So keeping your pool warm, especially during winter, is ideal for prolonging the life of your SWG.

Why do swcg shut down around the 60 degree range Why do they care!
If they didn't do that, your question would have been, "Why didn't they tell me it would damage the system to run it when the water is below 60?" And even if they did, most people would ignore the instruction and then blame the manufacturer. Sometimes they save us from ourselves.

Most SWGs in Australia have no problem to run through winter. They don't run on duty cycles, but regulate chlorine output by adjusting voltage to get to the required current. In the same way they adjust for the wide specified salt range (3000-8000) or lower temperatures.

They may not be able to get up to 100%, but who needs 100% in winter.

My water is currently under 10°C (50°F) and SWG is happily chugging along. Creating about 0.3ppm per day.

Reactions: JamesW
The reason SWGs shut off below 60°F is that the chlorinator cell needs to work harder to produce chlorine in colder water. As the temperature of the water lowers, so does the conductivity of salt water. Most ions need a certain level of heat to separate and then rebind. The longer the saltwater chlorinator works harder than normal, the shorter the lifespan the cell has. So keeping your pool warm, especially during winter, is ideal for prolonging the life of your SWG.
Is that the reason certain treatment (like Jack's #2 for Scale and Copper), also require the temp to be 65 or higher? Re: ions separating and rebinding? Seems logical to me. ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.