Why we love our back yard :-)

Thanks for the info – I’m definitely a bit weak on the chemistry portion of running my pool.
Is Cyanuric acid bad for the solar panels material or something? I know that Free Chlorine is the agent that is desired to sanitize the water, which is the primary purpose for using the chlorine tabs.

Sorry... I forgot you are new.

The CYA is shorthand for Cyanuric Acid and is frequently sold as Stabilizer or Conditioner. It helps protect the chlorine in your pool from the sun and it buffers its effects on your skin and swim suits. The FC reference is Free Chlorine and this is the chlorine that is "free" to kill the algae and other bacteria in your pool. After is kills the bacteria and algae is becomes a "CC" a "combined chlorine". This is the stuff that makes your pool smell like a "pool", it's commonly a chlorineny stinky kind of smell that you think of when you think of a hotel pool.

Understanding the effects of CYA on your chlorine levels is a critical step in maintaining your pool cost effectively. See the Pool School for more information

In a friendly way what we're getting around to telling you is that continuous use of those pucks is going to eventually increase your CYA to an unmanageable level. Your pool will require much more chlorine than it currently does, and you'll end up with a green pool. That is how many here ended up on this site!! As suggested, read Pool School and you will be on your way to keeping that incredible pool sparkling. Good luck!!

If you learn the relationship between CYA and Chlorine, you will be the master of your pool. The Pool Stores don't understand this and most pool technicians don't either. Armed with this understanding, a box of bleach bottle, a bottle of Muriatic acid (MA) and a few other items from the grocery store, you will be able to maintain your pool for pennies a day.

This summer (since early June) I have used bleach, one gallon of MA and about 5 pounds of CYA and my water looks like this ...every day. I forgot... I used pucks for a week while I was at Disneyland. My pool was perfect for 8 days without any help or additions.

IMG_5025.JPG

Incredible advice! I will add learning this process / Pool School to my task list!
I just invested $900 on the IntelliFlo pump this month for cost savings... it sure would be nice to do the same in the Chlorine Tab department too!

Great family photo too - your dog on the boogie board = priceless!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Scooterbeat100 said:
Incredible advice! I will add learning this process / Pool School to my task list!
I just invested $900 on the IntelliFlo pump this month for cost savings... it sure would be nice to do the same in the Chlorine Tab department too!

Great family photo too - your dog on the boogie board = priceless!!

You sound eager. This will be easy for you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.