Planting Crape Myrtles around pool - is this a bad idea?

Sampo

Gold Supporter
Aug 19, 2022
Southeast PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My wife and I are planning on improving the landscaping around our pool. We'd love to have a screen of 15 Crape Myrtles ringing the periphery, a bit beyond our pool fence. Most would be 20-30 ft away -- but a few would be as close as ~15 ft from the pool.

The pool is already overshadowed by mature Red Maple and Tulip Poplar trees. So our skimmers and Polaris are no strangers to leaves and seeds. But I'm slightly worried that the Crape Myrtles might produce an unmanageable amount of debris — they even showed up on some internet list of "plants that you should never have near your pool" :eek:. So I'm pausing and seeking the collective TFP wisdom: has anyone had a particularly negative (or positive!) experience?

We really like the idea of Crape Myrtles: for their long-lived flowers, dense screen, and rapid growth. But before I place the order... is this a colossally bad idea?! 🫨

CYA later!

Sampo

350px-Crepe_Myrtle.jpg

I had one near a pool. I would occasionally get flowers in the water if the wind was blowing that way. 20 of them may be a bit too much.

How high does the screen of crape myrtles need to be? They come in all kinds of sizes. You could get dwarf ones that may only get 6' tall. I like the following website for information on various crape myrtles. They're grouped by size.

https://aggie-hort.tamu.edu/databases/crapemyrtle/crape_myrtle_varieties_byheight.html

Reactions: Sampo
Its a terrible idea debris wise but it sure would be beautiful! Maybe just get a few mixed in with something else so it won’t be so bad?

Beautiful trees. On the flip side, tons of dropped blooms, sticky sap and as mentioned, get ready to
find them poking up in nearby flowerbeds (uninvited). Not sure how bad their behavior is in the North,
but ughhh, I would have picked something else if I'd known better at the time. YMMV.