Whitish nightmare

Jun 6, 2023
Philadelphia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Hi. I have been battling this whitish substance that collects on bottom of pool only when filter is running for 2 seasons now! It is driving me crazy. I feel like I have tried everything..found this forum and figured I’d give it a shot. I vacuum it to waste and as soon as filter runs it’s back. Easily brushable into a cloud. Water is clear, have a rough time keeping chlorine up but all else is normal. Looking for an answer please. Thanks

Attachments

• A18E54C2-C259-4844-9868-F1B88867136B.jpeg
    A18E54C2-C259-4844-9868-F1B88867136B.jpeg
    290.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 8E2039FF-DBE4-4EFA-8916-D8397DABB3BE.jpeg
    8E2039FF-DBE4-4EFA-8916-D8397DABB3BE.jpeg
    335.1 KB · Views: 22
Water is clear, have a rough time keeping chlorine up but all else is normal. Looking for an answer please.
For TFP methods, you've answered your own questions. The presence of algae (dead or alive) doesn't qualify as clear water.

If you're having trouble keeping FC (free chlorine) levels up per the FC/CYA relationship, you leave the water vulnerable to algae. An algae bloom starts to appear with clear water and some visible dead cells.

How do you chlorinate your pool today? How do you test?

It's very likely you need to SLAM.

Thanks for response. I use cch endurance tablets along with stabilizer tablets. I have a Taylor test kit which I just started using -before that I used strips. I also tried the SLAM method twice to no avail! I have glass media in filter which is what I thought it was at first, only because it shows up when filter is running. I know I have to get my FC/CYA relationship up to par. That is what I will start on today. Should I chlorinate a different way? Also why do you think it only shows up when filter is running, why wouldn’t algae grow even if filter is off? Lots of questions!! Thank you in advance.

Should I chlorinate a different way? Also why do you think it only shows up when filter is running, why wouldn’t algae grow even if filter is off? Lots of questions!! Thank you in advance.
liquid chlorine and once your cya/fc is par, liquid or swg and daily testing until you're familiar with your pools needs. When did you last clean your filter?

What kind of filter do you have?

I get the exact same thing, and it is not algae, it is DE "dust".

If I change my DE or bump my filter, I will get that same stuff. It is not algae. It does not grow, it does not consume FC, the pool passes a OCLT

So, every time I either change my DE or bump my filter I attach a slime bag first and leave it on for a day. Problem solved. I have not had this dust ever since I started using the bag. All I need to do is bump my filter without the bag on, and it is right back on the pool bottom.

What kind of filter do you have?

I get the exact same thing, and it is not algae, it is DE "dust".

If I change my DE or bump my filter, I will get that same stuff. It is not algae. It does not grow, it does not consume FC, the pool passes a OCLT

So, every time I either change my DE or bump my filter I attach a slime bag first and leave it on for a day. Problem solved. I have not had this dust ever since I started using the bag. All I need to do is bump my filter without the bag on, and it is right back on the pool bottom.
wild, so all de filters have this 'issue'?

So I spent 3 full days on SLAM and it came right back!! After that tried pool stores which one said sounds like mustard algae and other said was sediment from filter. Went through procedure for both problems and it’s back! I did not perform an OCLT yet. I do test everyday and always low FC. Just started process of raising cya to hopefully get me on the path of changing that.
And to phonedave I have glass filter. Not DE. I will chec

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I spent 3 full days on SLAM and it came right back!! After that tried pool stores which one said sounds like mustard algae and other said was sediment from filter. Went through procedure for both problems and it’s back! I did not perform an OCLT yet. I do test everyday and always low FC. Just started process of raising cya to hopefully get me on the path of changing that.
And to phonedave I have glass filter. Not DE. I will chec
Can you post results from the K2006 test kit?

SLAM is a process with 3 exit criteria to confirm that it's over.
If you haven't done an OCLT, you wouldn't have completed the SLAM criteria.

I would encourage you to slow down, stop visiting pool stores, as this isn't a problem that needs the kitchen sink thrown at it.

used a filter cleaner last week
What "filter cleaner" did you use?

Glass media is known to blowback in the pool unless it's used with low flow and properly backwashed/rinsed. Let me call you @PoolStored for thoughts.
Yes, you are correct, Glass media has its issues. Best to use sand. If you have it and are committed, reduce speed on your pump if possible.

Would you fill out your signature? Will help us help you...

I do not have the k2006 test kit! Is that something I should invest in? I bought the much cheaper Taylor test kit!! As for the exit criteria- as the fourth day came and it was still coming I lost all hope..And you are right..need to take a breath! It just drives me nuts seeing this in the pool!! I used Dohenys filter cleaner-from Amazon. Also cannot lower flow unless I get a 1hp pump. The flow is strong! As time goes on I am less and less committed to the glass. Thanks to all.

No worries - it’s not uncommon to give up on SLAM, especially when you’re not fully bought in to the ideas.
The K2006 or TF 100/Pro contain a very accurate chlorine test called FAS-DPD. It’s a very simple drop-based test that allows you to measure Free Chlorine, and Combined Chlorine, separately. It’s key to the SLAM method and to understanding what your pool water is trying to tell you.

FAS-DPD kits can be purchased separately and added to a K2005 kit, if that’s what you have…

Test Kits Compared

Reactions: Newdude
wild, so all de filters have this 'issue'?

I think I am special :)

I actually think it is a symptom of High Volume flow.

I never used to have this issue when I had flex pipe on my filter. I switch to hard plumbed and it showed up. It also continues to show up with a new DE filter (same make a model, just 15 years or so later, but similar guts). Or maybe I just have DE with a lot of really fine particles. But my flow rates are VERY high, my return jet is ridiculous. I think some DE gets past the tubes until a good cake of DE builds up

Reactions: koffey
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.