White stuff on spa spill over stone

Titan7

LifeTime Supporter
May 9, 2015
Peoria, AZ
So I can’t figure out what this is. Been getting worse over the past 5 years. I figure it was calcium carbonate, so I tried a cut mixture of Muriatic acid and water 4/1, got fizzing for a minute in a couple places but it’s still there. I read calcium silicant won’t be affected by acid. I am guessing that’s what I am dealing with? Suggestion? Thanks

Attachments

• 2D2F21E8-A635-4A1D-9708-ECAD944380BD.jpeg
    2D2F21E8-A635-4A1D-9708-ECAD944380BD.jpeg
    648.8 KB · Views: 23
Do you use any dry acid? Or any other chemicals other than muriatic acid and liquid chlorine (I know you have an SWG but some LC use of the winter months is typical).

It’s probably just a mixed calcium and magnesium scale (“mineral scale”) that has embedded into the porous stone work. I would recommend kierserite blasting but only if the technician/contractor knows what they’re doing and is familiar with the material. Unfortunately kierserite is magnesium sulfate which means if they use a lot of then you’ll get a fairly high dose of magnesium and sulfate in your pool water. That’s not very good for a pool with an SWG. The other option is glass bead blasting but contractors hate that because it means lots of clean up to remove all the glass media.

No easy or cheap solutions sadly …

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.