White staining on fiberglass

p1zaul

Feb 10, 2016
Charlotte
Three year old pool developing white stain which seems to be possibly on the entire pool but only seen when the waterline drops. I have tried magic eraser, compound, and muriatic acid. None of them seem to do anything at all. It's hard to tell if this is like a calcium deposit or possibly etched the surface somehow. I've kept the pool at the recommended levels and use pool math weekly so not sure what caused this. Also I keep the calcium hardness very low.

Attachments

• PXL_20230525_144029086.jpg
    PXL_20230525_144029086.jpg
    505.6 KB · Views: 21
  • PXL_20230525_144045019.jpg
    PXL_20230525_144045019.jpg
    861.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20230525-104840.png
    Screenshot_20230525-104840.png
    60.5 KB · Views: 22
Most likely it's a relatively normal transition/reaction in the gelcoat as time goes on. No real rhyme or reason. See my experience below.

This is kinda similar but only above the waterline, and if it is wet it disappears until dry again
That is the case with mine. I suspect if you lowered your water level you find the chalky appearance continues lower.

Texas Splash, I read your older thread before. I have the same oxidation as you were having. I believe it's oxidation since my CH numbers have not been high to make it a calcium problem. Also, the surface of the pool is just as smooth in the oxidized areas as it is in other areas. My pool is two-three years old. I've only owned it since last July. I have not been calculating CSI until the last test. The CSI for that test was -0.43. I've been increasing the CH incrementally. I started at 190 this spring and now have it up to 280.

In the end, I'll likely just live with the discoloration unless it really starts to bug me. Then I'll hire a pro. I would hate to pay for one if it's just going to re-oxidize a few years later. I don't know if the former owners did anything to cause the issue. I didn't find the numbers to be out of whack when I did my first test last year. Just slightly elevated pH (8.0) and FC (9.0). I do know they used a pool service.

I would hate to pay for one if it's just going to re-oxidize a few years later.
And that does happen. We have other members who went through the painful warranty process with the pool manufactures to get the shell re-coated, only to find it changing again a couple years later. I think it was around the 3-year mark where mine started to show changes.

I would think regular car wax would shine it up. Have to drop the water down to do it.

Just spitballing here. I did't do any research. There were concerns that car wax would not hold up to chlorine exposure. What about using the ceramic coatings they put on cars?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've been reading a lot of old posts on chalky fiberglass pools. This thread makes it sound like this is just something you learn to live with. Is this true?? My pool is a few months old and I'm now noticing the same problem described in this thread. When dry it looks chalky. When wet it looks shiny and clear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.