White funk forming on new pool light

May 26, 2017
West Hills, Ca.
I just swapped out my old 120v incandescent white light and enclosure with this LED light at 12v that fits right over the existing niche. But it is forming these white flaky things all over, what the heck is that? I did a different LED light in the attached spa (same water) and it’s doing fine! Any ideas? Poor metal in the light housing? There’s no power to it (switch is off) if that matters.

Oops! Thought I attached this already. I’ve noticed pitting under the white scale and have sent these pics to the light manufacturer. They said they’ll ask their engineers and send me a replacement to test underwater for a bit. This happened within days of installing it. These pics are after me cleaning it off and putting it back in, after 24 hours or so and the link to the light:

Goldlife P2 11" Large LED Pool Light for Inground Pools, DC12V 100W 10000LM RGB, 50ft Cord, Dimmable Underwater Submersible Pool Lights with 1/2" NPT Thread, IP68 Waterproof Swimming Pool Light Amazon.com

IMG_6804.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6805.jpeg
    IMG_6805.jpeg
    296.6 KB · Views: 2
Maybe a defective light or maybe a stray current.

Maybe try hanging a piece of metal from the screw using a wire to see if the same growths appear.

Maybe try copper or stainless steel.

Is the light "Listed" as is required?

Reactions: dariushd
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.