Where Can I Get This Flow Control Valve

Apr 18, 2010
What is this flow control valve and where can I get one? Since I have an in-floor system I need to ensure that the Intellichlor IC40 plumbed like this to keep flow rates below 80 gpm (my warranty depends on it):

It also seems like some calculations would be in order here. Like how tall should I make my loop? And how does that relate to the flow control valve?

Jim R - thanks - was hoping that was true but per this chart looks like I can get over 80 gpm. I'd have to do some kind of head calculation to figure out exactly. Unless I could just figure the flow rate itself - which what I want to figure out anyway.

PoolGate - thanks - that makes sense to me but also seems inexact at the same time. As far as I can tell I would be making a WAG at how closed/opened I should position the valve. I don't know the 'flow in' rate so I don't know how much to cut the flow at the Jandy. Plus, I don't know the effect of the 'upward flow' (maybe some head loss?) on the flow rate at the IC40. Maybe I should make a guess and just accept that I need to do this so that I don't void my warranty. Sort of for show.

Here's how autopilot does it. The valve is a 3 or 5 lb check valve that opens at the specified psi to bypass flow.

You can get a spring loaded check valve at whatever psi you want.

The Pentair Ultratemp uses the R172305 check valve as an automatic bypass. I think that it's a 12 lb spring.

I would think that a check valve with a spring of 3 to 8 psi would work for you.

Last edited:
PoolGate - thanks - that makes sense to me but also seems inexact at the same time. As far as I can tell I would be making a WAG at how closed/opened I should position the valve. I don't know the 'flow in' rate so I don't know how much to cut the flow at the Jandy. Plus, I don't know the effect of the 'upward flow' (maybe some head loss?) on the flow rate at the IC40. Maybe I should make a guess and just accept that I need to do this so that I don't void my warranty. Sort of for show.

You could also use one or more of these to be able to see the flow rate.

71QlNCkhAJL._SL1500_.jpg

Don't worry about it being inexact, All you're looking for is enough flow through the cell to satisfy the flow sensor. Once you have that much flow through the cell you can divert the rest though the bypass.

So just close the bypass enough that the low flow light turns green and a little more, and you're good. Or get a spring loaded check valve as JW suggested.

If you had a single speed pump, a set valve would work.

Since you have a mult-speed pump, you need a bypass that will adjust to the flow.

At low flow, the bypass check valve will stay closed. At higher flow, the bypass check valve will open.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.