When to open in NJ

Correction 300 sorry

The MasterTemp 300 needs at least 30 GPM. So that will need a few hundred rpm more then your SWG.

I think a VS pump will reduce your electrical cost by at least 70%,. If your $150-$250 monthly cost is correct that can be $105-$175. Payback for a $2,000 VS pump can be two to four seasons.

Do you have automation?

It would really be helpful in these discussions if you create your signature with details of your pool and equipment.

full

Thanks sorry, I just added everything to my signature.
It is helpful for you to list equipment and model numbers. Heater? Filter? Pump? SWG and cell size? Automation? Spa? Water Features?

Payback for a $2,000 VS pump can be two to four seasons.
Liz, I wanted to expand on this as the long term often gets overlooked. People think 'Oh, cool, the pump was free'

Not only that, but if it lasts 10 years, it paid you back 2.5X - 5X it's cost over your current pump. And that's at today's insane high pump prices. If they come down any, it will *make* you even more money.

*but only until the SS would have died. They have been outlawed and only the remaining stock is for sale. Once gone the only choice will be an efficient pump. Still though. Your pump is new and will last a long life as an energy hog. You can probably sell it for what you paid for it.

Mid-Maryland here and I usually open around tax time. We do not swim until sometime in May, but I like opening with cold water and should something break, I have a lot of time to get it sorted before swim season. I have a VS pump and run it 24-7 from opening until closing in October. I do, however, run it at a speed juuuuust fast enough (plus a bit more) to keep the salt cell happy.

Mid-Maryland here and I usually open around tax time. We do not swim until sometime in May, but I like opening with cold water and should something break, I have a lot of time to get it sorted before swim season. I have a VS pump and run it 24-7 from opening until closing in October. I do, however, run it at a speed juuuuust fast enough (plus a bit more) to keep the salt cell happy.
Do you have a heater? If you do and run it 24/7 what are we talking 1600-1700 rpm or lower or does it kick up higher when the heat calls?

Do you have a heater? If you do and run it 24/7 what are we talking 1600-1700 rpm or lower or does it kick up higher when the heat calls?

My setup requires about 1750rpm for my heat pump to kick in consistently if I remember correctly, it'll kick on around 1500 I believe, but not all the time, and sometimes it'll toggle on and off. 1750 was a good point where it would stay on. I don't run the heat pump until later in May as April night temperatures just kill any progress the heater makes. Though I have not had a solar cover before, maybe itll help this year.

Reactions: Wolfepack88
I opened on March 6. First swimming was yesterday. It was almost 70 outside and an occasional breeze.
If the sun was not out it would have been pretty cold getting out. Without the heater we would open in March
and then start swimming in April with a water temp around 64 (Too cold for me).
-Bigpaws

I opened on March 6. First swimming was yesterday. It was almost 70 outside and an occasional breeze.
If the sun was not out it would have been pretty cold getting out. Without the heater we would open in March
and then start swimming in April with a water temp around 64 (Too cold for me).
-Bigpaws
How warm did you have the water? NG heater?

It is helpful for you to list equipment and model numbers. Heater? Filter? Pump? SWG and cell size? Automation? Spa? Water Features?
It’s in my signature now. No spa or water features plain rectangle 15x30 gunite pool.
The pool company will install a pentair superflo VST 1.5 HP for $1,300. Sounds like that’s what I’m going to do unless there’s something you think will be an issue. I can either sell my single speed or keep it as back up.
I don’t have automation so I guessing I can just set the pump to satisfy my heater or if I set it for the salt water generator if I need to run my heater I’d just have to also change the pump speed when I turn the heater on.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It’s in my signature now. No spa or water features plain rectangle 15x30 gunite pool.
The pool company will install a pentair superflo VST 1.5 HP for $1,300. Sounds like that’s what I’m going to do unless there’s something you think will be an issue. I can either sell my single speed or keep it as back up.
I don’t have automation so I guessing I can just set the pump to satisfy my heater or if I set it for the salt water generator if I need to run my heater I’d just have to also change the pump speed when I turn the heater on.
The 1.5 hp pump is not as efficient as the 3 hp but not sure how it would work either with a 15k pool.

Timer is a simple one with on and off screw brackets I adjust. The swg is pentair ichlor40.
So you would keep your SWG on the timer while your VS pump is connected to constant power and uses its control panel. You would need to check that your timer stays within the pump run times.

If you got a Pentair IntelliConnect it would give you app control over your pump, heater, SWG, and lights. But the IntelliConnect only works with the IntelliFlo pumps. So know that path would not work for you if you get the Superflo VST pump.

And the IntelliFlo is more efficient then the Superflo and I estimate the difference can be $20-30/month.

So you would keep your SWG on the timer while your VS pump is connected to constant power and uses its control panel. You would need to check that your timer stays within the pump run times.

If you got a Pentair IntelliConnect it would give you app control over your pump, heater, SWG, and lights. But the IntelliConnect only works with the IntelliFlo pumps. So know that path would not work for you if you get the Superflo VST pump.

And the IntelliFlo is more efficient then the Superflo and I estimate the difference can be $20-30/month.
Thanks, I’ll look into the price difference of the intelliflo pump. Previously they told me automation added to my pool would be over 3,000 and I really don’t have a need for it since my system is so simple.
Someone mentioned the 1.5 Hp superflo vat is not as efficient as the 3 Hp do you see an issue with with me getting the 1.5 HP?

Thanks, I’ll look into the price difference of the intelliflo pump. Previously they told me automation added to my pool would be over 3,000 and I really don’t have a need for it since my system is so simple.

IntelliConnect automation should cost under $500.

Someone mentioned the 1.5 Hp superflo vat is not as efficient as the 3 Hp do you see an issue with with me getting the 1.5 HP?

Superflo will work ok. I estimate it will cost you $20-$30/month more in electrical then the IntelliFlo for the same HP.

I'm about 30 min north of Allentown in PA, and just opened Friday. I will keep March and April for the dogs (aka no heater) and then turn it on in May.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.