When to do initial test

It's possible that had something to do with it, but I wouldn't think so - unless they were really, really, really dirty - LOL. I would add more bleach to bring it up to your target level of 5 or even 8. If it was me, I would test again in at least an hour and I would keep doing that until the CC went down. The FC is fighting something; let's get it killed.

Doubt it. Did you fill with tap water?

Yep. Straight from the hose.

- - - Updated - - -

It's possible that had something to do with it, but I wouldn't think so - unless they were really, really, really dirty - LOL. I would add more bleach to bring it up to your target level of 5 or even 8. If it was me, I would test again in at least an hour and I would keep doing that until the CC went down. The FC is fighting something; let's get it killed.

Okie dokie!

I may screw up the terminology here but many municipalities have switched from sanitizing your tap water with chlorine to a chloramine-type product which registers as chlorine on your test.

I am pretty sure that's what's happening to you....it is not logical that you would have contaminants in your water iummediately upon filling.

Simply ignore it, treat the CC's as if they were FC, and it will go away in a few days.

I may screw up the terminology here but many municipalities have switched from sanitizing your tap water with chlorine to a chloramine-type product which registers as chlorine on your test.

I am pretty sure that's what's happening to you....it is not logical that you would have contaminants in your water iummediately upon filling.

Simply ignore it, treat the CC's as if they were FC, and it will go away in a few days.

This is good information. Thanks. I love learning new things!

I would target 10 ppm FC. Hopefully your CYA is dissolving which will protect your FC from sunlight. Need to keep it up near 10 as much as you can for a day or so to try to get rid of CC and what may be in the pool water already.

Is the CYA dissolving?
Do you have the pool covered?
Have you been using it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would target 10 ppm FC. Hopefully your CYA is dissolving which will protect your FC from sunlight. Need to keep it up near 10 as much as you can for a day or so to try to get rid of CC and what may be in the pool water already.

Is the CYA dissolving?
Do you have the pool covered?
Have you been using it?

The CYA is almost all disolved. Pool was covered last night and we haven't used it. Is it good that there is no chlorine anymore? Kinda like starting from scratch?

It's never good to have zero chlorine in the pool. Zero chlorine means there is a chance for algae to start to grow. Less than 3 FC and they could still start to grow at your expected CYA level. Keep that bleach in the pool. Eventually when the CYA is dissolved, your FC will have some protection and you may need to raise it more to help keep FC up, but just stay the course for now and keep testing/adding bleach to get things sanitized.

Unless there's something specific going on with your situation that I don't know about, you should be able to raise your PH anytime. :)

PH can be raised in three ways: borax, soda ash, and aeration. Borax is usually the best choice. Borax raises the PH and also raises the TA level just a little. If your TA level is low soda ash will raise both the PH and TA levels. If your TA level is high, aeration is best as it will not raise the TA level at all. However, aeration is rather slow compared to the other two.

Borax is available as 20 Mule Team® Borax Natural Laundry Booster. It is sold in the laundry detergent section of most larger grocery stores and some big box stores. Borax is best added by pre-dissolving it in a bucket of water and then pouring that slowly in front of a return.

Soda ash is available as ARM & HAMMER® Super Washing Soda Detergent Booster. Do not confuse this with ARM & HAMMER® laundry detergent! It is sold in the laundry detergent section of most larger grocery stores and some big box stores. It is also sold by pool stores under various names, including PH Increaser, PH Up, Balance Pak 200, etc. Soda ash is best added by pre-dissolving it in a bucket of water and then pouring that slowly in front of a return.

Aeration can be provided by a SWG, spa jets, waterfall, fountain, return pointed up so it breaks the surface, air compressor, kids splashing, rain, etc. It can take some time for aeration to raise the PH. The higher your TA level, the faster aeration will work.

Unless there's something specific going on with your situation that I don't know about, you should be able to raise your PH anytime. :)

PH can be raised in three ways: borax, soda ash, and aeration. Borax is usually the best choice. Borax raises the PH and also raises the TA level just a little. If your TA level is low soda ash will raise both the PH and TA levels. If your TA level is high, aeration is best as it will not raise the TA level at all. However, aeration is rather slow compared to the other two.

Borax is available as 20 Mule Team® Borax Natural Laundry Booster. It is sold in the laundry detergent section of most larger grocery stores and some big box stores. Borax is best added by pre-dissolving it in a bucket of water and then pouring that slowly in front of a return.

Soda ash is available as ARM & HAMMER® Super Washing Soda Detergent Booster. Do not confuse this with ARM & HAMMER® laundry detergent! It is sold in the laundry detergent section of most larger grocery stores and some big box stores. It is also sold by pool stores under various names, including PH Increaser, PH Up, Balance Pak 200, etc. Soda ash is best added by pre-dissolving it in a bucket of water and then pouring that slowly in front of a return.

Aeration can be provided by a SWG, spa jets, waterfall, fountain, return pointed up so it breaks the surface, air compressor, kids splashing, rain, etc. It can take some time for aeration to raise the PH. The higher your TA level, the faster aeration will work.

Wow good info! Thanks. If I use borax I have to use the acid right?

Glad that the FC is up where it should be based on what you added. Now just test again later today, this evening and see where you're at. If it's above 5-6 still, do nothing with chlorine. Check your pH. If you're pH is still low, you could try to bring it up with some borax. You do not have to use acid for borax for using it to raise pH. If you're intentionally adding borates to the pool, then you would add quite a bit more borax, then acid to offset the high pH rise. I wouldn't worry about borates until you get the hang of maintaining the pool normally.

Glad that the FC is up where it should be based on what you added. Now just test again later today, this evening and see where you're at. If it's above 5-6 still, do nothing with chlorine. Check your pH. If you're pH is still low, you could try to bring it up with some borax. You do not have to use acid for borax for using it to raise pH. If you're intentionally adding borates to the pool, then you would add quite a bit more borax, then acid to offset the high pH rise. I wouldn't worry about borates until you get the hang of maintaining the pool normally.

OOOOH!! Now I understand. I thought the acid had to be used no matter what. Thank you so much for clarifying. I'm starting to understand now. I think...lol

It is very important to maintain chlorine at target level for your CYA at ALL times to keep algae from growing and for your pool to be properly sanitized. Chlorine CYA Chart

It is also important to maintain PH between 7.2 and 7.8.

These are the two primary things that must be kept in line at all times. Every day until you understand how your pool works and how FC and PH behave in your pool.

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Recommended Levels for your pool.
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals what they are, how they work and how to add them to your pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.