What type of salt for hot tub?

Armor77

Jun 25, 2023
Alberta, Ca
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
? for the pro's, what exactly is the salt used in swcg hot tubs? sodium chloride yes or no and it should be pure? Would really like to know what i can use in my hot tub as opposed to "spa store" stuff they never have?

Plain salt. Can be pool salt, water softener salt, etc.
So i could use Sifto water conditioner salt like the 1 posted here could i not even if it is more course, i am really tired of the manufacture/store playing salt games. i want to do a water change before winter and having a hard time getting salt, so water softening salt i figured i could use and alot less pricey and readily accessible. Appoligize if it seems dumb not knowing but i have learned alot from TFP and appreciate the feedabck and learning tools.
imageService

As this is a spa and you dump the water every few months, the additive may not be as big a deal as in a pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As this is a spa and you dump the water every few months, the additive may not be as big a deal as in a pool.
Yes it is, went and got the sifto pool salt instead 99.75-99.92 sodium chloride looked pretty good as far as no additives and 10$ for 44lbs should do the trick for awhile. I was trying to quiz them at the spa/pool store but they would not answer my ?,s hmnn. Only said if you use any other salt you will void your warranty lol. I said well if you have no salt there has to other ones you can use with swcg you cannot be proprietary otherwise people cannot use there spas and must shut off there swcg and manually dose it, thats not the idea i paid for. I live in Canada and like to use my spa very much in winter, they still had no answers and were all crickets hmnn, arghhh:/.

PS; i would really like to know how in the heck they would know what kind of salt i used, as they will not be submitting water tests to some expensive lab for analysis.

Yes it is, went and got the sifto pool salt instead 99.75-99.92 sodium chloride looked pretty good as far as no additives and 10$ for 44lbs should do the trick for awhile. I was trying to quiz them at the spa/pool store but they would not answer my ?,s hmnn. Only said if you use any other salt you will void your warranty lol. I said well if you have no salt there has to other ones you can use with swcg you cannot be proprietary otherwise people cannot use there spas and must shut off there swcg and manually dose it, thats not the idea i paid for. I live in Canada and like to use my spa very much in winter, they still had no answers and were all crickets hmnn, arghhh:/.

PS; i would really like to know how in the heck they would know what kind of salt i used, as they will not be submitting water tests to some expensive lab for analysis.
They wouldn’t know. The warranties are mostly a scam. If they can’t find a reason to not fix something they can just blame water chemistry.

Reactions: Armor77
That is plain. I would use the pool salt. You need about 10 lbs to get to 3400 ppm.
My HT specs recommend 2200, I typically use 6lbs per refill and it stays stable. With no other chems added and not harsh. I looked at spa store salt and Sifto 1 and could see no difference what so ever, even ground the same coarseness:). Tired of peeps playing games. Thank you very much TFP, Pro,s.:)

Go with what the manufacturer recommends. Increased salinity levels do not dramatically effect the output.

With 2 of us rinsed/non laundered suits or commando lol, Cl level stays around 3-5 ppm and water has a good soft feel to it,so I strive for 1900- 2200. All weather pools they say max 2400 and those are huge. You use 4 buckets of salt on start up on those though. I start with 6lbs and wait/check with taylor.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.