What to use to backfill around a steel wall vinyl liner inground pool?

It looks like dleonard did stone first then gravel but I just skim scrolled through.

That's correct. I put a little bit of sand/soil down just to cover the plumbing, and then 57 stone to fill the void. I used 6" of modified 2A gravel and 1" of concrete sand as the base for our paver pool deck.

Reactions: Newdude
In my opinion, it was worth the cost to do clean 57s. It should settle less which was a key driver for why I went with it. I did all stone from the concrete collar to the bottom of the steel rim. Then the concrete guys come in and level everything off with rebar (this was the only part I didn’t DIY). 45F4880A-886D-4B06-9A3C-115968DCDE23.jpeg75D0D093-3605-471B-9255-4F003B025935.jpeg11B93B48-896A-47C4-A653-44F9216E3B49.jpeg

Reactions: Newdude and Casey
You can use the dig dirt for sure. In the NYC tri-state area that's all that is used by a majority of builds. If you want to put down decking asap then don't use it but it would be fortune to truck away the dirt and then bring in all that rock by me. I think the labor/truck costs are more that the rock here b/c in some areas it seems pretty cheap to use rock.

I would say the less effort you have to put into compacting material next to the pool walls the better. Lessen the chance of bowing the pool walls.

The only downside to type 57 stone (other than cost maybe) is it you have to dig into it later on. Usually you need to loosen it before going at it with a shovel and forget about trying to dig a trench in it without any shoring.

In my opinion, it was worth the cost to do clean 57s. It should settle less which was a key driver for why I went with it. I did all stone from the concrete collar to the bottom of the steel rim. Then

In my opinion, it was worth the cost to do clean 57s. It should settle less which was a key driver for why I went with it. I did all stone from the concrete collar to the bottom of the steel rim. Then the concrete guys come in and level everything off with rebar (this was the only part I didn’t DIY). View attachment 473181View attachment 473179View attachment 473180
I am close to ordering gravel for my backfill . is #8 pea gravel also usable which is smaller than 57?
Also how did you smooth out the voids on your deep end slope before applying your pool base? Looks like you were dealing with some shale which I also have.

I'll let others with more experience chime in - but I personally would not use pea gravel as fill. I have a LOT of it in pea gravel pathways, and as top material for a french drain - but as fill - nope. Pea gravel being smooth and basically round, it will not compact and lock in place. I know where I have some deeper pea gravel on the pathways (again, over a french drain), it moves under your feet when you walk on it.

-Tom

For pea gravel to compact it needs to be of the proper ratio of different sizes and needs to mixed so its uniform throughout. With pea gravel the voids between the stones finer soils can migrate in if there is water infiltration, this results in settling. Unless type 57 is not available or cost prohibitive, you will need to much more careful and diligent in getting the compaction done correctly.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think 57 will be available and likely the same price. I had thought that rounded would be easier on my polymer walls and pvc but I'll take the advice
Thanks again

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.