What to do first when filling up pool...

wkusae31

LifeTime Supporter
May 9, 2015
Lexington, KY
Hey everyone. Turns out my liner somehow was shot so I had to replace so now I'm filling up my pool. I'm a rather newbie so I wanted to make sure that I'm balancing the chemicals in the proper order. After the pool is at the right water level, I assume that I would have to:

1. Get salt levels to proper level.
2. Get pH to proper levels.
3. SLAM
4. Get CYA to 60.
5. Get TA to proper levels.
6. Get CH to proper levels.

Is this correct? Or should I get CYA to around 30 and then SLAM? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think your order is correct, but salt doesn't need to be first. You can bring the salt up while the slam is in place, but get your phone straight first.

I assume you're not using the swg during the slam, so the salt levels are irrelevant at that stage.

Correct, I'm SLAMing using bleach only. I just did not want to do something to screw up the SLAM or make it harder to reach desired chemical levels.

I figured the Salt and the pH were rather quick to do so probably didn't have much impact on a SLAM?

Hey everyone. Turns out my liner somehow was shot so I had to replace so now I'm filling up my pool. I'm a rather newbie so I wanted to make sure that I'm balancing the chemicals in the proper order. After the pool is at the right water level, I assume that I would have to:

1. Get salt levels to proper level.
2. Get pH to proper levels.
3. SLAM
4. Get CYA to 60.
5. Get TA to proper levels.
6. Get CH to proper levels.

Is this correct? Or should I get CYA to around 30 and then SLAM? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The order is sort of determined by the readings you get once it's full and circulating. For instance, if pH and TA are really low, you'd want to add TA first to prevent wild pH swings. For sure you'll want to get some bleach in there, since it's likely been a few days filling, but bleach works best at normal pH levels. SLAM -- Why? It's fresh water, isn't it? Or is the filter all full of green slime? You know you want to add CYA, and it will take a few days to dissolve and disperse, so it will be running as a bleach pool for a couple days no matter what as a SWG won't be able to keep up with demand in an unstabilized pool.

I recommend balancing it and running it on bleach to get it swimmable ASAP and then add the salt. If there are kids around, let them get in when you dump in the salt and let them swim through the clouds of crystals. Use the search box for Diamond Day for more details. Lastly you turn on the SWG and let it take over the daily chlorination.

The order is sort of determined by the readings you get once it's full and circulating. For instance, if pH and TA are really low, you'd want to add TA first to prevent wild pH swings. For sure you'll want to get some bleach in there, since it's likely been a few days filling, but bleach works best at normal pH levels. SLAM -- Why? It's fresh water, isn't it? Or is the filter all full of green slime? You know you want to add CYA, and it will take a few days to dissolve and disperse, so it will be running as a bleach pool for a couple days no matter what as a SWG won't be able to keep up with demand in an unstabilized pool.

I recommend balancing it and running it on bleach to get it swimmable ASAP and then add the salt. If there are kids around, let them get in when you dump in the salt and let them swim through the clouds of crystals. Use the search box for Diamond Day for more details. Lastly you turn on the SWG and let it take over the daily chlorination.

So leave the SWG off and turn on the pool pump/filter for about 8 hours a day until I get the CYA stabilized?

So leave the SWG off and turn on the pool pump/filter for about 8 hours a day until I get the CYA stabilized?
If you shut the pump off, pull the CYA socks from the skimmers and set them in a bucket. Or tie them to a float like a pool noodle and let them bob around. You don't want all that acid collecting in one spot. Or leave the pump on until all the CYA is dissolved, then back off.

With a fresh fill and low CYA, you're going to lose a lot of FC initially. Don't worry about it. Save the reagents. You don't need to test more than once a day unless you are doing a SLAM.

If you shut the pump off, pull the CYA socks from the skimmers and set them in a bucket. Or tie them to a float like a pool noodle and let them bob around. You don't want all that acid collecting in one spot. Or leave the pump on until all the CYA is dissolved, then back off.

With a fresh fill and low CYA, you're going to lose a lot of FC initially. Don't worry about it. Save the reagents. You don't need to test more than once a day unless you are doing a SLAM.

I've never thought to put the CYA socks in a bucket and let it dissolve that way. Then pour the bucket of CYA around the pool, right? That would save me a ton of time since I've just started filling my pool and it will take me a few days. So when the pool gets filled up, the CYA bucket should be ready.

I've never thought to put the CYA socks in a bucket and let it dissolve that way. Then pour the bucket of CYA around the pool, right? That would save me a ton of time since I've just started filling my pool and it will take me a few days. So when the pool gets filled up, the CYA bucket should be ready.
No, I meant just set the socks in the bucket until you have the pump on again. It probably won't dissolve just sitting there. And you don't want to pour the granules in, or you may end up with white freckles on the floor.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.