What is this lovely setup here?

Jun 5, 2013
I typically check TFP.com from a PC. Anybody remember PCs? Those wonderful creations that let us type things quickly? I'm getting distracted...

Anyhow the home page has some random images from posts. These are interesting, but I don't see where it links to the thread that they were pulled out of. As such, I'm very intrigued by this picture:

Viewing Image: 20160914_183708_resized.jpg - Trouble Free Pool

What's going on here? This looks like some lovely science in action.

after doing some searching...

He set this up as a bucket test to see if his water loss was due to evaporation, or if he had a leak.
He called the pic... "Bucket test for those with OCD"

Could you post a link to the original thread? I just tried searching for Jim's posts, and got a handful, but none with that picture. Saw his duck rescue post. That was cute. I've had baby ducks a few seasons at the pool. This year we had a gaggle of baby ducks, they've since flown the coop. However mommy and daddy duck keep using my pool as their date night out. I've got my 3 yr old on patrol, chasing them off whenever he sees them visit. Ducks can make a mess...

Haha! I also check from a PC and I have also click on the pics at the top thinking "hmmm, I need to see what this is all about..." but no clues as to the thread when I click on the pic!

dr,

I think I added that pic to a post where someone suspected they had a leak and the recommendation was to do a "Bucket Test".

I found it difficult to get an accurate reading just using a bucket so I came up with the OCD Bucket tester.. :p

Basically two pop bottles floating inside PCV pipe. A threaded rod is attached to the cap of each bottle and each bottle has some water in it to give it a little weight.

As the water drops in the pool, and in the bucket, the bottles follow the water level. At the upper part of the threaded rod are a couple of nuts which are adjusted to the same level line on the plywood scale.

I thought I might have a very small leak in my pool and wanted to do a week long test. The result was that after a week, the two nuts were both within about an 1/8th of an inch of each other.

I am retired or retarded and often can't remember which, so this was just a fun project for me. :geek:

Thanks for asking,

Jim R.

I love the things I learn on this page. I didn't have a clue what was going on there. I hadn't heard of the 'bucket test'. But now that you've explained it, it all makes sense. Thanks for the link to the thread, and also for the explanation. Good stuff!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.